Brew fridge advice please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank777

Reaction score
Hi @Frank777, only thing I can think of is if using the Fermentasaurus is you will need to build a shelf above the salad crisper as the compressor is probably behind it and will restrict the depth. I have a similar fridge(same dimensions) so anything you need measuring just PM me and I'll be glad to help mate.

Funny I just bought the same fridge 5 or 6 weeks ago. its been great!
i put a couple of pieces of decking cut to size on the bottom shelf above the salad draw as Banbeer said, to get a level base. Don’t know about the size of the fermentasaurus, but I bought it because it can fit two large 25L FVs.
I took off the inside light to bypass the thermostat too, because it would only get down to 3C as I’m using it as a lager fridge at the moment. I use it with an stc1000 for temperature control.

I use a similar tube heater on my brew fridge, the 12” one.

Thanks Banbeer, much appreciated.

Cestrian - how did you bypass the thermostat? What degree C are you wanting to get to?

When I'm lagering I usually set the temp to 0.5C which controls from 0 to 1C. To bypass the temp control I took the two brown wires out of the thermostat switch, cut the connectors off and wired them together. The light doesn't work, but I'm not too bothered. Having watched a few videos on youtube, I think if I had connected the black wire to the two brown ones then the light would work, but didn't want to risk blowing up my new fridge.

1593466269961.png

Thanks Banbeer, much appreciated.

Cestrian - how did you bypass the thermostat? What degree C are you wanting to get to?
I bought a similar fridge recently, and about the same dimensions, whilst I am sure it will be okay for your purpose be aware that there are taller fridges on the market and in my case I cannot quite get two Speidel FV's in one on top of the other and wish I had gone for a taller fridge.
You will only need to bypass the thermostat if you intend to go lower than the thermostat allows, so probably that would be about 4 degrees but this is a useful video on the subject of bypassing VIDEO

I bought a similar fridge recently, and about the same dimensions, whilst I am sure it will be okay for your purpose be aware that there are taller fridges on the market and in my case I cannot quite get two Speidel FV's in one on top of the other and wish I had gone for a taller fridge.
You will only need to bypass the thermostat if you intend to go lower than the thermostat allows, so probably that would be about 4 degrees but this is a useful video on the subject of bypassing VIDEO

Thanks Galena, what size Speidel FVs can’t you fit in together?

Thanks Galena, what size Speidel FVs can’t you fit in together?
Believe it or not I can't even get 2 of the 12 litre in, not with the airlocks fitted. They are quite tall airlocks though so if you swapped for a blowoff tube you wouldn't have the same problem. I have just ordered a second fridge as I could do with one anyway for extra brews and one if I cold crash or store beer in so I have now gone for one of these as its taller HERE Thats not a recommendation just the cheapest new fridge I could get that was this tall.

Last edited:
A bag of 3/8th plastic elbows off ebay sorted out my height problems, they'll fit in place of the airlock, stick a tube on the other end going to an airlock mounted somewhere convenient. That allowed enough room for a shelf of bottles carbing up, should make carbing much quicker in the winter months!

A bag of 3/8th plastic elbows off ebay sorted out my height problems, they'll fit in place of the airlock, stick a tube on the other end going to an airlock mounted somewhere convenient. That allowed enough room for a shelf of bottles carbing up, should make carbing much quicker in the winter months!
Great idea :)

I see folk that you are using larder fridges. Has any one identified a suitable tall freezer for this purpose or do fridges have advantages over freezers?

Most tall freezers have cooling pipes built into the shelves which are non removable.

Latest posts

Back