Brew in time for Christmas?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guerilla

Reaction score
I've tried homebrewing before in my younger days, those attempts were limited to making the strongest lager possible. Now I'm a bit more sensible I'm going to try brewing something a bit more palatable. Off to pick up some kit today from ebay.

Will it be possible to have a brew ready for Christmas if i start now?

Most will say no. I say yes, although a little under conditioned. 5 days ferment, clear with gelatine, keg or bottle, 1 week to carbonate and then as much as possible in the cool to get the bad flavours out.

7 weeks to Christmas isn't it? No problem.

Just don't try to be too adventurous. If you are brewing from kits then go for a nice middle of the road pale ale and go for a premium "two can" one, Muntons Gold Midas Touch would be my choice.

For me the process would be 12 days in primary FV, crash cool for a couple of days (fridge if you can, cold garage if not) then rack and bottle. two weeks in the warm to carbonate, then three weeks to Christmas to condition.

It'll be nice for a pint after the turkey. :thumb:

Just don't try to do anything "big", dark beers and strong beers take lots longer to condition and they just won't be right. Easy going bitters and pales should be fine. Just get it on ASAP.

Thanks for the replies, i'm not a big fan of dark beers so this suits me fine. Like i said i'm collecting some bits and pieces locally tonight, i'll stick some pictures up if you don't mind for advice on what else I might need.

Have a shufty at my "OMG!" how to - I'm pretty sure I put a gear list in there. :thumb:

if you make any beer with the big american hop nose - something along the lines of sierra nevada, oakham citra - then the dry hopping does a pretty good job of masking the age.

wheat beers are also better drunk young (~2 months traditionally) and they do taste pretty good right off the bat!

Thanks for the warm welcome, I picked up these yesterday (apologies for the someaht dark pic)

2013-11-07%2008_43_57.jpg

Looking at the beginners equipment list i reckon I'm in need of:
1. hydrometer
2. air-lock for the fermentation vessel
3. Thermometer

Am i right in thinking that i can use the barrel shaped vessel for racking? In which case does this need to be vented or sealed? Does anybody know if a 'little bottler' will fit to it?

the barrel is primarily for keeping your beer in when done and ready for serving. Therefore it shouldn't be vented.
However you can use them for fermenting in or racking into, although the design is not very helpful with a narrow top. A bucket is better.
Fermenting beer doesn't need an airlock fitting a loose lid is adequate and with the barrel shaped vessel a towel can be draped across the open lid. If you want you can also use an airlock in the bucket lid.

A hydrometer is one of your best tools for fermenting beers or wines. But learn to use it !

Little bottlers will fit most taps on buckets and are very handy, they make bottling easier.

Just use common sense, your brews have to be kept free from contamination, but when it starts to ferment and lots of gasses are being given off, it will more or less protect itself....just make sure nothing can fall in...or in the case of the dreaded fruit flies...dive in.

sorry i'm still a bit confused. I was thinking of racking the beer in barrel before bottling in the barrel (if all goes well with the first one or two i shall invest in another bucket). When the beer is at the racking stage does it need to be sealed or vented?

Latest posts

Back