Brew related iphone apps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
This has proberly been asked before - but its my first iphone so any apps worth getting that are brewing or ale related?

wetherspoon app is worth a go - tells you where the nearest one is!! Normally have a good selection of ales on :drink:

Brewhahalite
In a pub
BA viewer
Beermap
Caskfinder
What ales you
Brew vault
Brew Pal

Just a few to look at ;)

Theres also

camra good beer guide
Beer hero
craft beer
beer bash
beer pong
the beer machine
beer pad
beer battery
beer goggles :lol:

cheers nic :drink:

eddie - i think you have to download a programme to convert mp3 to ringtones? free and easy just google it :thumb:

not brew related but you should get flick football and rugby. very addictive. i think the phone has to be 'modified' or hacked in order to get ur own ringtone but thats another story!

just download a programme - bit tight that apple won`t let you just use your own music as a tone but want you to buy ringtones from the i store!! Easy to do though.......... :D

Beer Alchemy is available for Iphone and good bit of brewing software. Its got pretty much everything that Beer Smith has and is handy for having available on brewday.
Also Mr Malty has a yeast calculation App but its a bit basic and not worth the money if you ask me as you can use for free on the website.

Greg said:
Beer Alchemy is available for Iphone and good bit of brewing software. Its got pretty much everything that Beer Smith has and is handy for having available on brewday.

I'm TOTALLY reliant on my iPod for brewdays and use mainly two apps:
BrewPal for easy recipe ideas and formulation, BJCP style matching and good timers on brewday - bargain at 59p.
I also splashed out on BeerAlchemy (written by Steve_Flack, who's a member here and bit of a mac/iPhone wiz) which is BRILLIANT and well worth the £6 for it's comprehensive water calcs, inventory management and notes functions, lso excellent recipe import and export via wifi and sync with BeerAlchemy on a Mac) though takes a little longer to learn. For me it's BrewPal for basic recipe, BeerAlchemy for detail, BrewPal for timers, BeerAlchemy for notes.
BrewMath is a free sub-bit of Beer Alchemy so you could get that first.

Get Hoppy is a not-too-hot hop substitution guide, the BJCP styles app is good. Oh and CAMRA good beer guide is great on Android and think it's as good on IOS - beats the paper version as both portable and tell's you what's nearby with directions :-)

Invitation to any iPhone / iPad/iPod users:
I'm currently trying to scope out the feasibility of a small-scale research project going for my PhD in Technology Enhanced Learning looking at how mobile applications like these are used by homebrewers. So if anyone here would be at all interested in participating please PM me - a few more details below:

I'm an active user of BrewPal and Beer Alchemy and totally reliant on my iPod touch. As well as being a keen home brewer I work at Lancaster University setting up distance learning courses and learning technology, I'm also studying for a PhD in Learning Technology Research. Most of the research into using mobile devices like iPhones so far has been where a researcher gives a group of undergraduates a shiny phone and asks them a few weeks later if they liked it or looks if they did better in exams than those not given an expensive piece of equipment. What no-one is doing is looking at how people are using these devices in practice and to interact with a community. I'm REALLY interested in finding out more about how people are using these devices as I think there could be useful insights into how they could be effectively used to support students doing fieldwork and to understand how individuals relate to a community of learners at a distance.

Hopefully the above doesn't sound like a complete waste of time/taxpayers money/indulgent academic nonsense. If you;re wondering what the point of this is then I'm trying to find if any brewers who use or are new to using these apps would be willing to answer questions, be interviewed (e.g. via skype) or potentially allow me to come and meet up and 'observe' a brewday and their mobile device and app usage. (All in the name of research and not just meeting up with others off the forums for fun in the name of research (honest!).

So, if anyone reading this is up for it I hope to start developing ideas further and scope out a proper project and methods of data gathering and analysis however at this stage I'm scoping feasibility as I have no real idea if I'm going to get a 'get lost - what a waste of time' or 'yeah sure - come by, bring a beer and help me brew' type of response, hence the informal approach of posting at this stage.

I'm currently waiting to hear if my first paper which was a mobile learning research lit review has been accepted for publication in the Research in Learning Technology Journal. If not I'll be submitting to the International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning (IJMBL). THat paper ended with a discussion of how no-one was looking at people actually using mobile devices in practice in informal settings and I gave the example of BeerAlchemy with stats on number of downloads from Steve Flack...

I'm hoping if I can get this together and a decent paper out of it I'll be able tot will be accepted and will be able to put it in for a conference in Maastricht next year - which would be conveniently near Belgian Beer!!!

no need to get an app. Just set your homepage to THBF. You will find everything you need to know :cheers:

Back