Brew strong and dilute

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, yes. I once did a test brew using DME and hop tea which I made in the kitchen and nothing was sterilized. Just washed and rinsed unless it had already been and was dry in the cupboard or drawer. There was no boil, just poured the DME into the fermenter. Bottling was pouring out of a 5 litre tesco water bottle I'd used as a fermenter into fizzy water bottles using a funnel which made a great job of aerating it. No problems and tasted like beer.

Absolutely. Bleach queens the lot of them 🤣🤣

I almost always have to liquor back to some degree as the BIAB stockpot I use is a bit smaller than my smallest fermenter, so after boil off it's a bit short. I usually top up the brew kettle at the end of the boil, helps bring the temps down and although not boiling is hot enough to remove the chlorine, I assume. Plus there's already a campden tablet in solution in the beer although I'm not sure if the boil neutralise it.

When I did a low ABV beer around 2% I simply brewed what would be a 4% beer at half volume and liquored back with an equal volume of water and that beer turned out great.

I almost always have to liquor back to some degree as the BIAB stockpot I use is a bit smaller than my smallest fermenter, so after boil off it's a bit short. I usually top up the brew kettle at the end of the boil, helps bring the temps down and although not boiling is hot enough to remove the chlorine, I assume. Plus there's already a campden tablet in solution in the beer although I'm not sure if the boil neutralise it.

When I did a low ABV beer around 2% I simply brewed what would be a 4% beer at half volume and liquored back with an equal volume of water and that beer turned out great.

Interesting. I'm toying with doing a small beer - 2.4% or similar as I'm really enjoying my 3.5% 80 bob. I would have thought a 50:50 mix at that strength would have ruined it. Some serious stretching that 😊.

I would have thought a 50:50 mix at that strength would have ruined it. Some serious stretching that 😊.
Surprised to say it's actually one of the best beers I've done. Just popped open the last bottle (happened to be the one that got the sediment so a bit lively). Haven't noticed any adverse effects from stretching it out

Screenshot_20230821-221323-518.png

Absolutely. Bleach queens the lot of them 🤣🤣
Totally
We've been adding 15l of tap water to kit brews for years and noone (to my knowledge) had died from lurgy from ropey tap water.

I try to keep things clean, but invariably fingers touch stuff and then touch stuff that should be bleached and irradiated to a warm fluorescent glow that ends up going in the beer.
Stuff wants to be beer
It's low in oxygen, acidic and has an army of psychopath yeasts obliterating everything in sight and replacing it with alcohol. It's a horrendous environment for nasties.

I bet there are more ruined brews from people saying 'i didn't rinse the wvp/bleach' or 'it sucked 50ml of cleaner from the airlock' or other such cleaning calamity

I bet there are more ruined brews from people saying 'i didn't rinse the wvp/bleach' or 'it sucked 50ml of cleaner from the airlock' or other such cleaning calamity

That and bits they forgot to clean at all.

Anyhow... these airlocks you speak of... Do people still use them? I thought they went out of fashion when Boots stopped selling them.

That and bits they forgot to clean at all.

Anyhow... these airlocks you speak of... Do people still use them? I thought they went out of fashion when Boots stopped selling them.
I think I have a glass boots airlock in the shed. I'll see if I can find it. Inherited from the father in law who used to make boots wine kits.

I don't always use a lid, nevermind an airlock.
View attachment 89065

I'd still liqour back with water that's been de-chlorinated though.

I was going to ask if anyone did a an open ferment and there you go.

I'm currently experimenting with sourdough and was amazed to see bubbles in a flour and water mix left overnight. Anyone done wild yeast beer ?

I was going to ask if anyone did a an open ferment and there you go.

I'm currently experimenting with sourdough and was amazed to see bubbles in a flour and water mix left overnight. Anyone done wild yeast beer ?

Did some googling about wild/spontaneous fermentation of beer. Don't think I'm going to bother. Looks like you have to ferment for about a year and then it will taste funky. Some of the commercial breweries have cultured wild yeasts that taste OK which apparently upsets the spontaneous fermenters. I suppose if you do that there is an argument that you might as well use someone else's culture (i.e. fermentis). Blending is going on too.

Maybe I should buy a bottle from somewhere and try it ?

Real contrast with sourdough where a flour and water mix will start fermenting overnight and it will taste nice.

Back