Brew years resolutions 2022

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How did everyone get on?

For me it's getting around to getting the parts for a keezer. If all plays out and I clear out the other half of the garage then also putting it together.

For what it's worth I didn't get round to building a keezer, but I did manage a kegerator which is serving me very nicely.
PXL_20211230_130858029.MP.jpg

I had 3;

1) Start kegging - done. Best move I made
2) Brew more/drink less shop bought. Target 12 or more full vol batches - done, I brewed 18 and drank less over all
3 Sort out the brew schedule - done. Seasonal brews were done at the right time of the year, mostly!

This year, I plan mainly to get better at brewing and get better at tasting.

Kegging. After 2 years of bottling I am totally fed up with it so I have just ordered a corny keg kit. If all goes well then I would like to expand to 2 or 3.

Plus I need to work out why my mash tun tap/filter/false bottom blocks the moment I turn on the tap - happened the last 3 brews in a row even when I turned the tap on immediately after mashing in to recirculate. And yes it starts off completely clear. Very frustrating aheadbutt
I aimed to set up a 2 or 3 keg system and currently have 5 😂 Also to sort out issues with my mash tun and I am pleased to say that I now have refined my system so that it is reliable and repeatable each time athumb.. Happy new year to you all

This year, I plan mainly to get better at brewing and get better at tasting.

Yes, i'd second this, I seem to be limited to 'citrus' 'pine' and perhaps 'resin' when I describe a beer that i've tasted. It's mainly when I read the BJCP guidelines when I taste a beer that I can either taste (or not) what should be in the beer that i'm having.....

In 2021 I moved on to bottling after years of using pressure barrels. In the past I’ve always made 4%-ish bitters and milds, but I’m going to branch out a bit and make a few more styles of ale, given the possibilities afforded by different levels of carbonation etc. from bottling. A radical departure for me! Bottled beer seems to last longer, which is good because I’m drinking less these days.

I see I made some sort of resolutions last year.... My brewing game has came on a lot though. I treat my water every brew now as a matter of course, although I really need to re-establish my baseline values I havent done that in a while.

I didnt use my beer gun much, but then I dont keg much outside of winter, which has been partially resolved as a fridge is now in place.... Just need to get it set up to get a gas line in to it. I also have a ferminator now so no need for a fermentation fridge, just a dispensing one.

I never did finsh that Ray Daniels book, but I have been making up my own recipes and using a more trial and error approach. Not too many failures tbh so just keep plugging away at that.

Unsure what my brewing resolutions will be this year..... Just do more of it I think!

I am going to concentrate on quality over quantity. I plan to get back into running so my beer intake will drop. I had covid over Christmas which completely ruined all my plan's.
Today I am cooking a nice dinner for the wife and children. Glazed ham, chicken ( two youngest love chicken) and a lamb shoulder joint.
All I want for 2022 is for the school's to stay open. Anyone with young children will know what I am talking about 😁

I planned to buy a couple more cornie kegs. I had six and now have twelve. ✅

I planned to better organise my ingredients and they are now in labelled bins and storage boxes. ✅

I planned to do a couple of jobs on my brew-shed. They were done and a few more besides. ✅

I planned to do a better job of record keeping and have now developed a recipe sheet / brew log for every brew. ✅

This year I also plan to improve my beers (in particular carbonation!) and improve my tasting skills. I’ve got Randy Moshers book on tasting, the BJCP study guide and a couple of books recommended in the study guide. I might even take a sensory training course.

I planned to better organise my ingredients and they are now in labelled bins and storage boxes. ✅

I planned to do a couple of jobs on my brew-shed. They were done and a few more besides. ✅

I planned to do a better job of record keeping and have now developed a recipe sheet / brew log for every brew. ✅

This year I also plan to improve my beers (in particular carbonation!) and improve my tasting skills. I’ve got Randy Moshers book on tasting, the BJCP study guide and a couple of books recommended in the study guide. I might even take a sensory training course.

That really is sometihng I need to do. Is the book good? Approachable etc?

I would love to hear how you get with the tasting guide. It's something I would like to try

I hate bottling and have been giving bag in a box some thought but BIAB doesn't seem to have taken off and is rarely discussed here so i am not convinced the time saved would be worth the extra expense.

Don't think I had any for last year

1 . Re roof my garage and the rear storage area and then make the rear storage area a dedicated Brewing space

2. Continue improving 2 beers - Belgian Pale/IPA & Schwarzbier that I intend to enter in as many BJCP competitions in 2022 to hopefully improve the scores I get.

Don't think I had any for last year

1 . Re roof my garage and the rear storage area and then make the rear storage area a dedicated Brewing space

2. Continue improving 2 beers - Belgian Pale/IPA & Schwarzbier that I intend to enter in as many BJCP competitions in 2022 to hopefully improve the scores I get.
Many beers do you have to send to these competition's. I wouldn't mind entering a porter

Many beers do you have to send to these competition's. I wouldn't mind entering a porter
Recently there has only been one entry per competition apart from Brewcon which you could enter up to 4 beers. Then you have to send 3 bottles for judging.

@Hazelwood Brewery has just posted in the competition thread about the next LAB Open which will be available to register your entry this month with the comp in May.

Not sure if I had any last year, if I did it would be buy less beer. I think I sort of achieved this, in 2020 I tried to support breweries by buying. May have gone a little overboard this Xmas but never mind that. I will aim to do better this year.

For 2022, I will look not to drink beer I don't enjoy, I tend to hold onto beers that I think I won't like and then try to drink them all. I made a start on this over Xmas, if a beer wasn't to my taste I threw it. My can fridge is looking more spacious already.

I think I would like to get into the science of making beer a bit more. Previously I never had the headspace for it and brewed freestyle. I have slowly made some water additions to certain styles but I don't really understand it all and rely on brewing software. Hopefully this will take my beer to the next level.

Back