Brewdog - DIYDog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the recipes on some of my favourites, Kudos to them for thinking outside the box, They've used a simple proven base formula and adjusted accordingly. using a creative "what if we" to satisfy their curiosities and goals.

They've done something all home brewers do... Brew. Then worked at it, Made a brand around it, Made that brand "Cool" Made it Accessible to the masses.

They will be the Apple of the the brewing industry.

I have to say, having now had a good look through, there's very few I would do without modifying. Mainly that's because I don't really drink beer at more than 5% abv, and there are few that fit that bill.

Some of the grain bills are good inspiration though, I really like the look of the rye red ale as a base for my planned simcoe mosaic rye ale.

Either way I find it very hard to criticise them for doing this. So what if it's a publicity play? It's still 200+ recipes (though some of the exotic additions are a bit infeasible at home) for free. I asked wylam brewery for their cascade recipe. Not a chance. What brew dog has done is a fantastic gesture, even if it's one that comes with a large dose of justifiable self interest.

I've only ever drunk two of their beers btw. I'm by no means some brew dog fan boy.

They've done a great thing, nobody is saying otherwise, they've just made a mess of it. A lot of the recipes are obviously wrong. And they've not yet had the grace to say so or do anything. I hope nobody wastes a brew by making a cocked up recipe.

They've done a great thing, nobody is saying otherwise, they've just made a mess of it. A lot of the recipes are obviously wrong. And they've not yet had the grace to say so or do anything. I hope nobody wastes a brew by making a cocked up recipe.

Maybe it's part of the plan? They'll give some unlucky sole a years beer as a sorry gesture and use it to their advantage.

Lucky fish....

Seriously though, do you think they would, on purpose, make some of the recipes meaningless just as a means of getting even more publicity? I don't get it.

Lucky fish....

Seriously though, do you think they would, on purpose, make some of the recipes meaningless just as a means of getting even more publicity? I don't get it.

Why not? It's like when Mecchano was first sold they intentionally put mistakes in the instructions to inspire creativity and problem solving in its customers.

It's all part of the plan all publicity is good publicity.

As has been said before, if someone follows a recipe to the letter without first checking/questioning it, there is a high chance it will go down the drain, at their expense. I doubt anyone threw their Meccano in the bin because the instructions were wrong.

As has been said before, if someone follows a recipe to the letter without first checking/questioning it, there is a high chance it will go down the drain, at their expense. I doubt anyone threw their Meccano in the bin because the instructions were wrong.

If you are brewing all grain you'd know by looking at the recipe that something is wrong before you start.

I personally only brew 5/10 litre batches so for a 4.0+ ABV batch it's around 1kg of malts for a 5lt batch so brewing a 20 litre batch anything over 5kg of malt you'd know something is wierd before you started.

So, considering that Brewdog know what they are talking about, and we do (we have picked up the errors), then why do it? Yes it has got a fair bit of interest amongst the HB community, but most of this thread is focussed on the mistakes. Not something that would a)tempt me to rush out and try their products or b)bother myself any further delving in to their recipes. For me it's a bit like eating fish - as soon as I find a bone I can't be bothered with the rest of it. So, in my opinion, they have done themselves a disservice.

You might tell someone at work about it, Have a convo about Brewdog your colleague might go into a supermarket that evening to buy a "few beers" notice the Punk IPA by that brewery Mansemasher was talking about and buy a few to try. He could enjoy the beer tell his friends and so the cycle continues.

Word of mouth is a powerful tool you just need to get people talking.

Well they've got 150 posts on here and similar it seems across other forums so that is pretty good for google spider bots and general publicity it seems to me.

And surely you cannot really complain about anything that is free.

If Google points a search for Brewdog DIYDog to this forum I doubt it will be a positive marketing trick. I bet everyone commenting on this thread has not gone out to buy a Brewdog beer and not tried a recipe that was released.

If Google points a search for Brewdog DIYDog to this forum I doubt it will be a positive marketing trick. I bet everyone commenting on this thread has not gone out to buy a Brewdog beer and not tried a recipe that was released.

I don't understand the negativity of this thread I'm afraid.

Mikkeller puts a few recipes in a book for £20 and no one bats an eyelid. Brewdog give hundreds away for free and get pelters!

Because some of the recipes are questionable to say the least. From what I can see no one is knocking them for doing it, but they, for whatever reason, have got some recipes that are way off the mark. That is what is being discussed as far as I can see.

Latest posts

Back