Brewdog in trouble again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me. Since the revelation of what’s been happening behind the scenes and the toxic work environment and people working in fear James because they will be sacked or squeezed out of the business because people aren’t
prepared to, and I quote “to work in fast and dynamic environment that isn’t for everyone” (which means work like a dog and do what I say) then until there is significant change in leadership and the rest of the business I wouldn’t encourage anyone to go anywhere near their beer or bars.

I've really never like Brewdog.

It's a company that seems to be built around "banta" culture, all their stunts and rubbish have (finally) come back to bite them in the rear. Sure over the years they've put out some interesting stuff, and they've made themselves a fortune doing it. But they are the absolute epitome of a band wagon.

They've built their name on social media and now they're looking to lose it on social media too.

As I recall, once upon a time there was this good newish brewery called Brew Dog that produced some nice real ale (including some really strong stuff) and their Punk IPA in bottles was a hoppy sensation. The first alarm bell for me was when they threw a bit of a wobbler about cask beer and seemed to engineer a dispute with CAMRA to get publicity. By the time they were pushing their "Equity for Punks" investment it appeared beyond doubt that they were more about the image and the monies than the beer itself. Sadly the confirmation of the toxic culture for employees was no great surprise.

In January. The media are really digging deep now to cash in :laugh8:
I think it's more that the ad campaign was ran in January but the ASA have only just reached their verdict on it. Not quite sure how it works but I guess they get whatever business to pull whatever they don't like or has been complained about at the time but then take a while to gather the evidence and reach a decision?

I think it's more that the ad campaign was ran in January but the ASA have only just reached their verdict on it. Not quite sure how it works but I guess they get whatever business to pull whatever they don't like or has been complained about at the time but then take a while to gather the evidence and reach a decision?
It was more of a comment on the putting their foot in it part. It's a typical Brewdog advertising stunt, the same kind of thing they've been doing for years. It's always a calculated move, I disagree with it being painted as something else because of the negative press Brewdog are getting right now.

It was more of a comment on the putting their foot in it part. It's a typical Brewdog advertising stunt, the same kind of thing they've been doing for years. It's always a calculated move, I disagree with it being painted as something else because of the negative press Brewdog are getting right now.

you'd think given the current storm around them, they'd just pay the £15k, and just say "the tin in the box was merely a token - we have the actual solid gold one here for safe keeping and the winner is also getting a surprise tour etc etc etc - or of course if they prefer the £15k in cash that's fine"

for the sake of £15,000 you'd just spend it rather than adding yet more flack

Well, if all else fails the lucky winners can always sue brewdog for lead poisoning from the 'special' brass can! 🤢
Missed this thread, so sorry I'm late.
They couldn't get lead poisoning from brass.
You're thinking of bronze which is the alloy of copper and lead.
Brass is an alloy of copper and tin, so you could still get tin poisoning, I suppose.
🍻😉🤢

Missed this thread, so sorry I'm late.
They couldn't get lead poisoning from brass.
You're thinking of bronze which is the alloy of copper and lead.
Brass is an alloy of copper and tin, so you could still get tin poisoning, I suppose.
🍻😉🤢
Not all brass is the same.
Brasses can contain up to 3.5 percent in lead contents, and are classified as low, medium, or high-leaded. Leaded brass may be used to make screws, valves, fittings, bearings, specialty fasteners, architectural hardware, and general purpose machine parts.

Not all brass is the same.
Brasses can contain up to 3.5 percent in lead contents, and are classified as low, medium, or high-leaded. Leaded brass may be used to make screws, valves, fittings, bearings, specialty fasteners, architectural hardware, and general purpose machine parts.
I stand corrected on the variable lead content of brasses. Still, where there's muck there's brass, as Brewdog are demonstrating well with their brass-necked claims for their 'gold' cans.

I'm an old enough fart to remember the manufactured Brewdog / CAMRA row. I thought back then they they were just a bunch of self obsessed tossers. I'm not the best placed to judge their beer as they generally brew styles I'm not a huge consumer of, not my area of expertise, but their business strategy is distasteful - they didn't give a monkeys about damaging others with their marketing stunts, so it doesn't surprise me they have a similar attitude towards work colleagues.

Who said any publicity is good publicity? There's toxic work places everywhere....I've seen a supervisor type in Asda give a group of workers on the shop floor a right talking down to and every one was too scared to tell him to shut up..a chap I work with worked driving the Tesco van for a while said the managers were all tin pot Nazis...when I worked in the glasses factory my supervisor tried to rule the floor with aggressive behaviour and would regularly point his finger at you while asserting his "authority "...what a knob head...
No excuse...its **** management...but only if you let them.

As I recall, once upon a time there was this good newish brewery called Brew Dog that produced some nice real ale (including some really strong stuff) and their Punk IPA in bottles was a hoppy sensation. The first alarm bell for me was when they threw a bit of a wobbler about cask beer and seemed to engineer a dispute with CAMRA to get publicity. By the time they were pushing their "Equity for Punks" investment it appeared beyond doubt that they were more about the image and the monies than the beer itself. Sadly the confirmation of the toxic culture for employees was no great surprise.
Whatever anyone thinks about BrewDog, and I'm not a fan of some of their are wacky beers !!
They may not have started the craft beer Revolution but certainly ramped it up, resulting in a huge choice of craft beer on our supermarket shelves ! So thanks for that 👍
We're all talking about the rights and wrongs of their marketing strategies.
The fact that we are having a discussion means they are making themselves noticed and that is the point of marketing !
So criticizing them won't stop them, but we do have the choice of not buying their beer or their shares !!!
As long as people like us are talking about them they are happy.

For me. Since the revelation of what’s been happening behind the scenes and the toxic work environment and people working in fear James because they will be sacked or squeezed out of the business because people aren’t
prepared to, and I quote “to work in fast and dynamic environment that isn’t for everyone” (which means work like a dog and do what I say) then until there is significant change in leadership and the rest of the business I wouldn’t encourage anyone to go anywhere near their beer or bars.

All good and well but this happens all the time in a variety of companies, both big and small. We just don't hear about it because it contract clauses and/or selective media reporting.

Delighted to see Brewdog not only getting into bed with Budweiser (a popular choice for people slagging off mass produced, conglomerate dishwater) but ALSO moving into China, where everything requires the endorsement of the state.

Delighted to finally see them showing themselves for what they are. "Equity Punks" every where having to pop the soapbox back in the garage.

Be better. Don't buy Brewdog

Latest posts

Back