Brewferm, Diablo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Belgian beer.
Take your time with it. Brewed as per the kit instructions. In the primary for about 2+ weeks, racked off for 2 weeks bottled 3rd September with 1 teaspoon of brewing sugar per bottle. Just cracked the first one and the result is stunning!
This is a really good example of Belgian beer at its best. Lots of well rounded deep malty complex flavours, just the right amount of hops (not overpowering), good body and head retention. I have got the carbonation spot on. I didn't take gravities so no idea what the % is but one pint has just nearly taken my head off!
It is difficult to know how this will get better over time. I agree with the comparisons with Leffe style beers. This is on the lighter side.
Highly recommend. Take your time and your efforts will be rewarded.
I've bottled a Gallia, Grand Cru and Abdij and I have the Triple in the primary at the moment.
Happy days!

I didn't keep mine for very long after I opened the first..it is such a good beer. If I had the cash I would do one a month, leave for six months before having the first bottle and always have six month old cracking Belgium beer on hand...ah the dreams!

Oops. Following routines and I ended up brewing this to 23 litres instead of 18 (2 cans) :doh: . Hope it'll be at least half decent.

This was Brew #4 for me, I did this as per instruction buff and added 550 g of belgian candi sugar..the gist I got was to add 5 to 10 % more if using that. So I hit the targets and this came out at 8.5%. Been in the bottle since 24/9, my wee lads birthday today so as good as an excuse as any to try this one a month early at least.

First impressions, not a lot of aroma, it is a clear ruby/ dark copper red. Lots of berries and other fruits, quite neutral from the yeast and no homebrewy/young beer twang. Very nice alco warmth in the background. One thing that stands out for me here is the body/mouthfeel. Though quite young there is almost a creaminess to this one, it's outstanding. I was extra lazy with this one and used 33cl bottles and 1 coopers carbo drop per bottle, that seemed to have worked well.

Obviously still early days but if it was not for my brothers birthday in a month which it is brewed for, I'd get tucked in now. If I was to do this again I would do x2. Only gripe so far is I hope the sediment compacts a bit more.

d5wj.jpg

Fore said:
Oops. Following routines and I ended up brewing this to 23 litres instead of 18 (2 cans) :doh: . Hope it'll be at least half decent.

This is my 4th brew since rejoining the ranks. I brewed it a little long by accident, probably 21 litres for 2 cans. It cleared really well after 4 weeks in the fermenters (2 weeks in secondary); came out at 6.2% (I think the target is 8%). So after going in the cornie and giving it a couple of days to carb up, I have to say it's already tremendous. There is no hint of that homebrew twang, something very noticable in the early stages of every beer I have ever brewed. I can't imagine there are many beers that taste this good after 2 days in the keg. Being brewed long, it is not quite as intended, but still a great beer in it's own right. Friends like this one and wouldn't know any different if I didn't say I brewed it wrong. I have a feeling that the Brewferm 9l Belgian kits are going to become my premier option.

Just added this to my Xmas list so will be brewing this in Jan ready for summer, does that sound about right for this?

I've just made Diablo and am sorry to say that I'm distinctly underwhelmed at this stage, it's still very young so I'm hoping it comes good, but after a month in the bottle it tastes like a cheap lager kit :shock: To put it into context, this is brew no.42 for me so I kinda know what I'm doing, I brewed to the instructions and volume. It was incredibly clear when I bottled, clearer than any brew I've done so far.

Just wondering if I'm being too hasty? I've got some other brews in bottles that have aged 6 months or more, so I know about maturation, but those didn't taste half as bad as this in the early stages.

Mine didn't taste nice until about 4 months. My LHBS advised leaving 6 months which I think is good advice with this kit.

Can anyone tell what would be the best/safe temps to pitch the re-hydrated yeast into the wort?

Bucky said:
Can anyone tell what would be the best/safe temps to pitch the re-hydrated yeast into the wort?

Ive not done this one, however generally for yeast about 18 to 20C unless its a lager yeast who like it cooler :)

The search function at the top of the page is really good for looking stuff up, there is a wealth of knowledge on here already :)

OMG! So the 25deg I pitched the yeast at was way too high, have I damaged the yeast/batch?

New to all this home brew stuff, like to dive in head first!

Just opened a "tester" bottle to ensure that the priming is going ok..................well that's my excuse :D

Am absolutely amazed at how good this is already

As good as many a bought bottle of strong Flemish beer

Very rich, the alcohol is obviously very present but not overpowering

Will be doing another batch of this!!!!!!!!!

wotcha

When you guys have brewed :twisted: do you just do it in a normal sized FV i.e 40 pint or would it fit in one of the smaller FVs ?

Only asking as I've been given this kit for Chrimbo and recently acquired 2 'smaller' FVs

munkian said:
wotcha

When you guys have brewed :twisted: do you just do it in a normal sized FV i.e 40 pint or would it fit in one of the smaller FVs ?

Only asking as I've been given this kit for Chrimbo and recently acquired 2 'smaller' FVs

I've not done this kit but recently did the 12 litre Framboos that Brewferm make. Used a 15 litre FV for that one and there was plenty of space for the krausen. I don't think it matters if you use something bigger but I find a smaller FV easier to handle when it comes to racking so I use one when I can.

gitsurfer said:
munkian said:
wotcha

I've not done this kit but recently did the 12 litre Framboos that Brewferm make. Used a 15 litre FV for that one and there was plenty of space for the krausen. I don't think it matters if you use something bigger but I find a smaller FV easier to handle when it comes to racking so I use one when I can.

I guess it only matters if you use a pressure barrel for a short brew i.e with keeping it carbonated

I'll do it in a full sized FV and bottle it then

Latest posts

Back