Brewing half of a beer kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb982

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a few Mangrove Jacks brewing kits to do but don't necessarily want 23litres of each in one go. Is it possible to brew half a beer kit with half the recommended DME, priming sugar etc and store the other half of the kit? If so, how is it best to store a once opened kit (tin/pouch)?

Many thanks!

If you have the facilities to brew 23l (ie, a 23l fermenter), personally I’d invest in extra bottles and brew the whole thing. It a lots easier to store extra beer than an opened extract kit. Opened packs of DME are a bit of a pain to store too.

That's my problem, I now have about 150 bottles and keep buying more when I fancy a new beer. I don't get anywhere near through 45 bottles before fancying something new :laugh8:

That's my problem, I now have about 150 bottles and keep buying more when I fancy a new beer. I don't get anywhere near through 45 bottles before fancying something new :laugh8:
I know what you mean. I’m the same with kegs. I find myself binge drinking from Wednesday in order to free up a keg So that I can free up a fermenter for the weekend :oops:

Hhhhmmmmm.... so does anyone have any recommendations for literally doing things by halves? Can I seal and store the kit and dme?

Hhhhmmmmm.... so does anyone have any recommendations for literally doing things by halves? Can I seal and store the kit and dme?
Without doubt your best option is to brew the entire kit.
But if you must, use half the kit and if it's in a sachet squeeze as much air out as you can, seal and store in the fridge. If its a can then find a smaller (sanitised) container, pour it in as best you can, exclude the air and seal and store in the fridge. I have no idea what freezing does to hopped LME.
The bottom line is that once you have opened your kit the deterioration process will accelerate. How long would you keep an opened sachet or can of any foodstuff before its lost its freshness or worse becomes unfit to eat. And sugary stuff is always susceptible to airborne yeast contamination once opened.
The other option is to buy kits like Wherry where they come in two separate cans and brew one at a time.
However as far as DME is concerned I buy 3kg bags and use 1kg or 1.5kg at a time but quickly seal the bags up and use it all within a few weeks of opening.

Without doubt your best option is to brew the entire kit.
But if you must, use half the kit and if it's in a sachet squeeze as much air out as you can, seal and store in the fridge. If its a can then find a smaller (sanitised) container, pour it in as best you can, exclude the air and seal and store in the fridge. I have no idea what freezing does to hopped LME.
The bottom line is that once you have opened your kit the deterioration process will accelerate. How long would you keep an opened sachet or can of any foodstuff before its lost its freshness or worse becomes unfit to eat. And sugary stuff is always susceptible to airborne yeast contamination once opened.
The other option is to buy kits like Wherry where they come in two separate cans and brew one at a time.
However as far as DME is concerned I buy 3kg bags and use 1kg or 1.5kg at a time but quickly seal the bags up and use it all within a few weeks of opening.
Good advice, thank you!

Um, have you thought about brewing less frequently or even suspending brewing until you have enough empty bottles available for the next batch?
Yes, that is what I am currently doing. I am just considering possible ways of having more variety and less quantity.

I have found an excellent solution to this to which i will post in the beer kit reviews thread as its also appropriate.

Oo exciting. I will now step back and let the excitement and anticipation build. 😃

check out OakHomebrew as they sell all grain kits @ just £8 ea (starting) that make 5/19/23 ltr kits. Ive just got 2 kits. Spot on if you are happy to brew properly and in small amounts thus allowing more choice. These will make around 8 pints and come with an idiots guide (just for me) clapa

Attachments

• 20200929_122408_resized.jpg
    20200929_122408_resized.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200929_122424_resized.jpg
    20200929_122424_resized.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200929_122434_resized.jpg
    20200929_122434_resized.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 61
check out OakHomebrew as they sell all grain kits @ just £8 ea (starting) that make 5/19/23 ltr kits. Ive just got 2 kits. Spot on if you are happy to brew properly and in small amounts thus allowing more choice. These will make around 8 pints and come with an idiots guide (just for me) clapa
You are in part correct. However not all kit brewers have the time nor inclination to spend three hours or so producing 5 litres of beer. For some that might represent an evening's drinking with a mate, or two on their own, so its value to them may be questionable. It took me over four and a half hours last week to produce an 11.5 litre partial mash experimental beer and when I looked at it I did wonder whether it was worth it, especially since I normally brew 20 litres or therabouts and it takes the same time. Anyway there are some pros with small AG volume brews and there is a thread on that here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/5-litre-batches-of-beer-why.80559/

You are in part correct. However not all kit brewers have the time nor inclination to spend three hours or so producing 5 litres of beer. For some that might represent an evening's drinking with a mate, or two on their own, so its value to them may be questionable. It took me over four and a half hours last week to produce an 11.5 litre partial mash experimental beer and when I looked at it I did wonder whether it was worth it, especially since I normally brew 20 litres or therabouts and it takes the same time. Anyway there are some pros with small AG volume brews and there is a thread on that here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/5-litre-batches-of-beer-why.80559/
time inclination or any other reason is probably immaterial should liver malfunction kick in. Health. Important. That is all.

Hopefully some that are only occasional brewers or novices may find my comment helpful. That's what was intended.
Cheers.

I'm the future instead of buying kits buy the individual ingredients in the amounts that would fit the size batches you want to brew.

I have brewed the last few kits 1 half at a time as I’m getting back into AG
Festival Golden Summer Ale was split into two but it’s so much easier when it’s two pouches/cans

I started a Woodford's Nelson's Revenge yesterday. Was 2 cans and 2 packets of yeast to go in the fermenter so that would be an easy one I guess.

I'll check these out look similar to the Craftybrews Stovetoppers which seem to be unavailable cheers, great present for interested friends for Christmas DIY small batch!

Back