Brewing mistakes you really wish you'd avoided...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two thing we can't avoid. Contraction and expansion. I have seen kegs do the same thing.
But why does it need to air tight seal for mashing and boiling? It looks like a major design flaw that this can happen and there isn't a release valve for both negative and positive pressure, even if it's only for user error.

I'd be asking for my money back, rather than buying another.

Last edited:
But why does it need to air tight seal for mashing and boiling? It looks like a major design flaw that this can happen and there isn't a release valve for both negative and positive pressure, even if it's only for user error.

A mistake by the user. Guarantee wont cover that.

It dosnt need one. Earlier in the thread I said "a cip devise I built caused this" so it's totally on me. I now have another grainfather and a vac breaker for my invention. So we shall try again

Rubbish. It shouldn't destroy itself if you put the lid on at the wrong point in the process.

There's a reason cars come with automatic handbrakes now.
Not rubbish, I have seen kegs do the same thing. User error. One just cant seal up a vessel and put it in a fridge. I have done the same thing with my Apollo's luckily they are forgiving, they may get sucked in but expand again when out of the fridge.

a cip devise I built caused this
I'd be curious to see your CIP system. I just follow the GF's CIP instructions to "add some stuff, run it through the pump/chiller" so I'd be interested to see your setup and how (excluding the rapidly unscheduled implosion) it improves on the stock setup.

I always get yeast dumping wrong, no matter how careful I think I am being.
I really need to get a short length of hose.

IMG_0918.jpg

Ever started a brew and then noticed part of the grain-bill sitting in the worktop in a bowl, weighed out, but not added?

Well what kind of a fool would do that? 😛

Fortunately, with my 'open bag' system, it's not too much of an issue; undo the knot in the neck of bag (which is outside the boiler, and hence dry), pour in missing ingredients, and tie knot back in bag.

Ever started a brew and then noticed part of the grain-bill sitting in the worktop in a bowl, weighed out, but not added?

Well what kind of a fool would do that? 😛

Fortunately, with my 'open bag' system, it's not too much of an issue; undo the knot in the neck of bag (which is outside the boiler, and hence dry), pour in missing ingredients, and tie knot back in bag.
I did just that a few weeks ago, was a basic bitter, so added all the pale malt made myself a cup of tea and realised damm it I’ve forgotten to add the Crystal. I’m a BIAB brewer so not too much hassle to add in thankfully.

I always set my Robobrew to 99C to avoid this!
Grainfather has this built in. The sparge step automatically sets the temp up to 98 C and then screeches at you to press the next button before proceeding to 100. Quite handy.

Every darn time I get cocky and try to do more than one thing at a time…
Most recently, hooked up a clean corny to the full FV, opened the pressure relief to let it drain in nice and slowly, turned my attention to the mash; and about 20mins later noticed a little river of beer creeping down the garage floor. Aaargh!

Another one for me today. Brewed another batch of parsnip, just like the 28 times I've already done it this year. All complete, hop boil done, just cooling the wort, and...

noticed a pack of parsnips sitting unused on the side! So I only have two-thirds of the amount. The beer is going to be well under par. What to do? I decided I'd chop them up as usual, bung them back in my stock-pot (which I'd already washed up and put away), and boil them for another half-hour or so. Of course, it takes ages to get the wort back to boiling point. But I'm sure it'll be drinkable.

Last edited:
Another one for me today. Brewed another batch of parsnip, just like the 28 times I've already done it this year. All complete, hop boil done, just cooling the wort, and...

noticed a pack of parsnips sitting unused on the side! So I only have two-thirds of the amount. The beer is going to be well under par. What to do? I decided I'd chop them up as usual, bung them back in my stock-pot (which I'd already washed up and put away), and boil them for another half-hour or so. Of course, it takes ages to get the wort back to boiling point. But I'm sure it'll be drinkable.
Parsnip beer🤮. I make a Brussels Sprouts beer with a 60 days boil time. 😂

Latest posts

Back