Brewing mistakes you really wish you'd avoided...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this morning I racked off my 15 litre batch of brown ale. Still got some life in it, but gravity was down to 1014, I thought it must be nearly done. Glanced round half-way throught the evening and it had frothed up into the airlocks. I just caught it in time before it started spilling all over the floor. So an emergency trip to the kitchen, air-locks were sluiced out and another demi-john pressed into service sharpish. No damage done, I reckon, but a close one! :D

I was chuckling at this thread earlier today, then went to clean my pressure fermenter and opened a butterfly valve to dump the yeast without releasing pressure first, yeast shot out hit the collecting vessel and rebounded at 50mph spraying in all directions covering myself, floor, fermenter, kettle, all cleaned and sanitised bits and pieces in yeasty trub o_Oaheadbutt🤡😂

Last edited:
I was chuckling at this thread earlier today, then went to clean my pressure fermenter and opened a butterfly valve to dump the yeast without releasing pressure first, yeast shot out hit the collecting vessel and rebounded at 50mph spraying in all directions covering myself, floor, fermenter, kettle, all cleaned and sanitised bits and pieces in yeasty trub o_Oaheadbutt🤡😂
OMG - I would be fuming!

After a hiatus of about 6-7 weeks because of life getting in the way, I decided to brew David Heath's Verdant Tropical Paradise IPA because I've had the ingredients for a few weeks now. Everything was going swimmingly - great mash, draining well and the same with the sparge. But it was when it was coming up to the boil that things didn't seem quite right. I nearly missed the hot break because it started at around 83C. So I stirred it in and noticed that it was now at full boil. Still at 83C. Then I noticed the temperature sensor partially hanging out of the side of the G30 😭

I wonder what temperature my 65C mash was really at...

I considered chucking it and saving the hops and yeast for a second attempt, but decided to commit to it anyway. I bizarrely seemed to hit OG target of 1.068, but I think the chances of hitting the 1.009 FG are slim to none!

I can now add a couple more mistakes from my log from my last couple of brews.
1. Unclogging a keg dip tube using 60 psi with the post removed and my face over it. It's now been months and I'm still finding bits of hop detritus on my ceilings/walls/skirting boards/nightmares.
And less comedically:
2. Not using enough bittering hops in my WC IPA. When it comes to bitterness in this style, more is more.
3. Not adding enough dry hops in my double NEIPA.When it comes to bitterness in this style, more is more

Built a Keezer earlier this year and being brighter than your average bear decided that adding a heater was a waste of time. Why would I possibly need to heat up beer in my warm and cozy garage? May be looking for a heater later.
95B5F8D6-3776-4B3E-88FE-B50D886EED9A.jpeg

Built a Keezer earlier this year and being brighter than your average bear decided that adding a heater was a waste of time. Why would I possibly need to heat up beer in my warm and cozy garage? May be looking for a heater later.
View attachment 79291
I have the same problem. No heater in the kegerator that I built earlier this year. The beer is 5.7centigrade this morning. The temperature is set at 11c

I kegged a Pilsener yesterday after transferring off trub to a clean fv the day before.
Only after I'd finished did I realise I hadn't run the sanitiser throught the keg first ( although I'd thoroughly cleaned it the night before ).
Hoping the fact that the beer had been in fridge and the shed was so cold will lessen likelihood of infection.
Fingers crossed and lesson learnt.

After a hiatus of about 6-7 weeks because of life getting in the way, I decided to brew David Heath's Verdant Tropical Paradise IPA because I've had the ingredients for a few weeks now. Everything was going swimmingly - great mash, draining well and the same with the sparge. But it was when it was coming up to the boil that things didn't seem quite right. I nearly missed the hot break because it started at around 83C. So I stirred it in and noticed that it was now at full boil. Still at 83C. Then I noticed the temperature sensor partially hanging out of the side of the G30 😭

I wonder what temperature my 65C mash was really at...

I considered chucking it and saving the hops and yeast for a second attempt, but decided to commit to it anyway. I bizarrely seemed to hit OG target of 1.068, but I think the chances of hitting the 1.009 FG are slim to none!
Chuck some glucoamalyse in

Mine is set to 8c

Currently at the following temp.

0B0C77FE-60DA-40A4-B46F-DB631EF1F544.jpeg

Latest posts

Back