Brewing on a boat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there Welly,

I live on a narrowboat too. So far I've only done one kit (Wherry, and it was alright!) so it can be done! As you say you'll want to plan things around waterpoint availability for cleaning etc. The big problem is power for temperature control during fermentation. If you're on a mains hookup you can do as everyone else does and build a brew-fridge. I'm a continuous cruiser so only have limited 12V available (batteries, solar). I'm currently designing a heater jacket using a car heated seat element controlled by Arduino which can all be run off the batteries (with loads of insulation). If there is any interest I'll post a build log or PM me for details.

Dizzy

Hey Dizzy,

Would definitely be keen to find out about your heater jacket. I'm also a continuous cruiser so no access to a mains hookup unfortunately! Although my boat does have 240v, obviously running any kind of heating element off batteries isn't going to work. This may end up being a spring project but I shall certainly have a think about ways round this and if your heater jacket works, then that would be brilliant. Keep us updated!

Cheers

What temperature is the boat?

I have brewed all year round in my flat without temperature control for the last couple of years. I'm guessing your issue would be cold temps rather than the hot temps (30c) that I had to deal with in the summer.

Anyway if you know your temp range in the boat you can pick a yeast that will work well withing that temp range. Perhaps wrap some insulation around the fermenter to stop fluctuations. A lager yeast might be an option at the cool end of the temp range.

Here is a lager yeast that can brew anywhere between 8c and 22c

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=30

mike77 said:
What temperature is the boat?

I have brewed all year round in my flat without temperature control for the last couple of years. I'm guessing your issue would be cold temps rather than the hot temps (30c) that I had to deal with in the summer.

Anyway if you know your temp range in the boat you can pick a yeast that will work well withing that temp range. Perhaps wrap some insulation around the fermenter to stop fluctuations. A lager yeast might be an option at the cool end of the temp range.

Here is a lager yeast that can brew anywhere between 8c and 22c

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=30

It can be pretty cold at times and super hot at other times, although the engine room is a fairly consistent temperature - not that warm. So I suppose it's at least consistent and perhaps I can figure out some insulation. I should hang up a thermometer and start measuring the temperature over the course of a week.

Hi there Welly,

I live on a narrowboat too. So far I've only done one kit (Wherry, and it was alright!) so it can be done! As you say you'll want to plan things around waterpoint availability for cleaning etc. The big problem is power for temperature control during fermentation. If you're on a mains hookup you can do as everyone else does and build a brew-fridge. I'm a continuous cruiser so only have limited 12V available (batteries, solar). I'm currently designing a heater jacket using a car heated seat element controlled by Arduino which can all be run off the batteries (with loads of insulation). If there is any interest I'll post a build log or PM me for details.

Dizzy

Hi, it might be a bit late just joined and was directed to this thread but would be very interested in your heater idea. I'm on a boat and temperature is my main concern. TIA

Hi, it might be a bit late just joined and was directed to this thread but would be very interested in your heater idea. I'm on a boat and temperature is my main concern. TIA

I have a feeling you'll be waiting a while for an answer -
welly2 Last seen Dec 19, 2013

Is it too cold or too hot on your boat? The worst thing is temperature fluctuations though.

One way around not having any temp control is to 'brew with the seasons' (which is what I do as I dont have temp control). Basically you choose your yeast based on what the ambient temp is in your brewing area. Eg In winter you might choose lager yeasts to brew and in summer you might choose kveik/saison/belgian yeasts to brew with.
One yeast than many people like is Nottingham/wilko ale/gervin yeast. Many people are aware that it can ferment down at 14C (because it says it on the packet) but what isn't so well known is that it can also ferment right through to 25C/27C (it doesnt say this on the packet). So it makes a great workhorse yeast as it's also fairly neutral so can be used in a range of styles

I'm in a similar situation, living in an old school bus.
IMG_20200425_170447.jpg

Latest posts

Back