Brother-in-law gets headaches with Homebrew but not Commercial brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having done a bit of reading on infections it was definately infected, fortunately enough it got infected by bacteria and/or wild yeast that didn't make the beer undrinkable

One thing that I did notice in the notes was:

FLAVOR/MOUTH FEEL CHARACTERISTICS: As a neutral fermenter, Workhorse Beer yeast produces very clean and crisp product. Mouth feel will be light and unassuming, low acidity in the finished beer makes this yeast strain suitable for most beer styles although hopping rates will need to be monitored closely to achieve the flavor and aroma required.

Do I take from that, that this yeast strips away hop flavour/aroma?

How do you mean?

I'm glad you asked, the plan is to take a sterile spoon and bowl and take two or three spoons of yeast from the bottom of the FV and seal in a sandwich or some kind of sterile bag. When I've cleaned the FV and have the new wort at 21-23c start adding spoons of wort to the yeast and gently stir it in and then after a short while add it to the FV. When I say, not much room for error, it's just that I've never done it before so I like to have a back up plan (or two) just in case it all goes a bit south.

One thing that I did notice in the notes was:

FLAVOR/MOUTH FEEL CHARACTERISTICS: As a neutral fermenter, Workhorse Beer yeast produces very clean and crisp product. Mouth feel will be light and unassuming, low acidity in the finished beer makes this yeast strain suitable for most beer styles although hopping rates will need to be monitored closely to achieve the flavor and aroma required.

Do I take from that, that this yeast strips away hop flavour/aroma?

Not sure tbh, but I read it the other way, as its a neutral yeast it lets the hop aroma/flavour shine so you need to make sure you don't over hop

I'm glad you asked, the plan is to take a sterile spoon and bowl and take two or three spoons of yeast from the bottom of the FV and seal in a sandwich or some kind of sterile bag. When I've cleaned the FV and have the new wort at 21-23c start adding spoons of wort to the yeast and gently stir it in and then after a short while add it to the FV. When I say, not much room for error, it's just that I've never done it before so I like to have a back up plan (or two) just in case it all goes a bit south.

Repitching is problably the easiest form of 'yeast wrangling' far easier than rinsing yeast or top cropping. As long as you use the star san liberally you'll be fine. However you say 2 or 3 spoonfuls what size spoon fulls? .

I've read to re-pitch as little as 100ml per brew. I think Clibit repitches 100ml per 10L of brew, if I remember correctly from one of his posts, Which is a lot more accurate than what I do. Personally I'm never to sure how much slurry to re-pitch. I supposes if I did enough research I could find a correct amount but I find repitching 'some' (probably about 300ml-400ml) with a high ratio of yeast to slurry works well for me so I don't bother doing anymore research. It's always best to overpitch then under if your not sure.

Did an early gravity test this morning - the brew has only been fermenting about 3-4 days but it's past the period when the yeast make off flavour compounds - and despite pitching at 25C and an ambient temp in my brew corner of 23C-25C there's definately no fusil alcohols in the brew.

I think Clibit repitches 100ml per 10L of brew, if I remember correctly from one of his posts, Which is a lot more accurate than what I do. Personally I'm never to sure how much slurry to re-pitch.

What I do is use the Mr Malty yeast pitching calculator, which can be used for dried yeast, liquid yeast and yeast 'slurry' - the stuff you scrape out of the FV.

You enter the beer type, OG, batch volume and age of the yeast. It then tells you how much dried, liquid or slurry to pitch.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Give them a call and organise the postage, I'm sure they'll sort the £1.00 rate for you.

Hats off to you Clibit, I gave them a call this morning and they're sending two packs of Mangrove Jacks Workhorse yeast at £2.26 a pack and £1.00 postage, grand total of £5.52p. The people at Lovebrewing were really nice and I couldn't have asked for better customer service.

This sounds like a sulfite allergy which is quite common. It will be present in your red wine and could be a byproduct in your brewing water.

Latest posts

Back