Brown ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll have to be a lot more specific - "brown ale" is one of those things that means many different things to different people, depending on where you are in the country (eg Mann's versus Newky Brown) and how far back in time you go.

"Traditionally" most bottled brown ale was just the brewery's pale mild coloured with some brewer's caramel.

But if you want actual historical records, then Ron Pattinson is your man.

Here's my generic recipe: 90% pale malt, 7% crystal malt, 3% Chocolate malt, bitter to 25-30 IBU with a British hop such as Challenger then optionally add a bit of an Aroma hop, not too much though.

Greg Hughes' recipe for `Northern Brown' is pretty good:

pm - 4.8kg
crystal - 250g
choc. malt - 100g

admiral 16g start of boil
challenger 16g at flameout.

Of course it depends what you mean by brown ale as others have said. I unfortunately bought a bottle of Newcastle brown the other week - tasted like lager with a bit of colouring thrown in. Brewed by Hieneken. Nuff said.

Don't recall the S & N version being that special.
No but back in the '70s it stood up well compared to the sh**e served in pubs in the NE. When I went down South to Leeds to go to university, believe it or not, the beer was a revelation. I'd never seen a hand pulled beer until then.

Back