Bubble size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting a bit disappointed with my brews.

I may not be describing correctly, but the best way would be to say the bubbles seem too big.

I dont think I have a problem with carbonation per se. Brews seem sufficiently, (if not overly sometimes), carbed.

I've read a bit on here and some suggest either flaked barley, wheat or oats to improve head retention, but I dont think I have a problem with head retention, as such.

It 'feels' like the bubbles are too big. When you take a sip, you can feel the CO2 escaping and inflating your mouth. It also feels a bit harsh.

To illustrate the point (and clearly I'm not suggesting my brews are anywhere near commercial standard) here are a couple of side by side pics of one of mine on the left and a commercial bottled beer on the right. Clearly there are other processes at play and the commercial one isnt bottle conditioned etc etc . . .

View attachment 32515
View attachment 32516

I had a friend's home brew recently, bottled IIRC in May, and it didn't display the issue I describe / experience. That said, he's got about 100 brews under his belt compared to my 9.

I've also read that bubbles tend to become smaller with age. Maybe I'm not leaving them long enough.

The other thing is that I use golden granulated cane sugar for priming. We dont normally have standard white table sugar in. SWMBO is a bit of a stickler for less processed stuff. Could that have an effect.

As ever, thanks for taking the time to read and thanks in advance for any of your wise words.

Cheers

One other thought is what temp are you serving at?

You need to consider the carbonation vs the serving temp. If you are carbonating to say 2.2 vols (most standard carbonated beers) with priming but then serving at say 10oC you will naturally see more co2 released as the co2 comes out of solution which could be why you are getting the drinking experience you describe.
Co2 stays in the “solution” at lower temps and after it’s had a while to be absorbed. I would be interested to see what the same beer would be like after 3 days in the Friday @ 4oC.

While colder but if you don’t get the same characteristics you are describing I suggest you carb to a much lower level of say 1.1 vols (look it up on a priming carb chart) and that may give you what your after.

Or just use some measuring spoons from the kitchen! 1/4 Tsp; 1/2 Tsp; 3/4 Tsp and 1 Tsp. Simples!

As long as the beer tastes nice does it really matter how big the bubbles are :tinhat::beer1:
Yes it matters a lot. The CO2 affects the taste and the mouth feel. And the head gives eye-appeal too.

OP said, "you can feel the CO2 escaping and inflating your mouth. It also feels a bit harsh. "

Why does there have to be a consensus? My point is that the level of carbonation has several effects on how beer tastes and feels in the mouth. You could always start a poll if you dispute this or want to know the majority view? wink... :laugh8:

I heartily agree! and yes I tend to error to more carbonation than less, its much easier to swirl a little carbonation out versus add it back in in the glass.

The quickest and easiest way to induce a head on the beer in your glass is to get a childs Calpol type syringe and inject air into the beer. The air displaces the CO2 and a lacklustre head can be transformed for about two seconds worth of effort.

I started drinking in the Midlands and then lived down south for a few years. So I have always found northern beers too gassy, and Scottish beers even more so. As a home brewer I can now drink lovely 'flat', 'warm' beer, the way it was 40 years ago! My current brew is at 6 psi and I will let it drop some more - frumptuous joy of joys!

IMG_20200914_134330_939.jpg

Back