Bucket or wide neck fermentor?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malkin71

Reaction score
Which do you guys prefer?

Need one and a as a indecisive man I can't choose.

As a newbie its always a tough decision. Bough everything but the bucket yet. might buy one of each lol

Thanks in advance

I have the Coopers FV while it is a great bucket I'm still not convinced about not having a air lock system. But the removable ring is a great idea.

Buy the cheapest - Wilko's is usually a good bet. You dont need an airlock just stick some cling film on top with a big elastic band to make sure it stays there

Got to say.... after running a test with the Coopers Fv on 2 brews I have to say it is brill...

Plus points...
1 - Dead easy to see whats going on... use a good torch and all will become clear ;-)
2 - Great for settling of yeast etc..... sits well in curved bottom.
2a - Curzon ring is a great idea... pull out after 3 / 4 days and wash and put lid back on..
3 - Curved bottom makes it a breeze to (very gently) tip FV and pour out almost all of the fermented beer, leaving the **** in the bottom.
4 - Cleans out great, easy to wash and sterilise as sides very smooth, and quality of plastic is top notch..

I have to say, some Aussie git must have thought this one out quite a bit and has come up with a good product... even the new (white 2 part tap is a good idea).....

Also I have to say this is a dedicated FV... not just a Bucket with a bit of screen printing on!!! Think about it, this is produced by a brewery.... and in Aus.... now you may not think this matters... but have you ever ****** off an Aussie!!! TBH.. they don't take it well, and are much more demanding than the average Brit... They F****** complain like hell, Products have to do what they say, and do it well or its back to the maker... they don't take things lying down...

The down sides...Well maybe!!
1 - No air lock to see bubbles... but hey do you really need to!!! (...if you leave the lid on.... which you can and see whats going on, there will be a layer of CO2 over the top of the beer and will protect / preserve it)

The coopers kit does look decent but for £68 it's not the best deal.

I can get the same gear minus the bottles which I already own for £42. Shame you can't just buy the fermentor on its own. Not a fan of plastic bottles either, got 36 flip top bottles from the range for £30.

Which do you guys prefer?

Need one and a as a indecisive man I can't choose.

As a newbie its always a tough decision. Bough everything but the bucket yet. might buy one of each lol

Thanks in advance

I opted for a Wilkos wide neck, it has good handles for lugging it on to a table/worktop for bottling. Only downside is the restricted access for adding ingredients and cleaning. I spilled some liquid malt down the side, it's easy to do.
Also, it fits inside a bucket type FV, so easy to store when not brewing.

If you shop around you can get the Coopers kit for £63.98 with free shipping if you spend over £65, so add some steriliser and there you go...

If you actually work it out, the other items in the kit add up to £48.03 (online prices) so basically you are getting the FV for £15.95.... As far as I know the Coopers FV is only available on its own in Aus from the Coopers online store at $49.90 (£27.46GBP).... so its a bit of a bargain if you buy the kit and end up with some extra spare bottles and a beer kit to boot!!

"Best Deal"... well you have to take quality into account with this, the cheapest is not always the best, the old adage "You get what you pay for" is the case, I have 7 FV's and out of all of them the Coopers is (for beer) about the best. Though if I had the money I would go for a Speidel Kellermeister 30 Ltr Conical FV... Have seen one of these and there are the Dogs...

Also (though not at the minute) you can get the Coopers kits from Tesco online on special at £52, depends if you want to wait or not..... I am keeping my eyes open and will be getting another without doubt...

Also on your comment about plastic bottles, I also was never keen, but that was based on using them over 30 years ago and having all sorts of issues, when I used to brew with my dad... I have to say the Coopers bottles work great. Not had any problems at all with them. No leaks, no gas loss, lightweight and easy to clean. The caps can be reused and no need to buy new ones each time.. But you can get them if you want a tamper evident seal every time you brew, or wish to gift them to others and want to look professional.

I also have a large number of Grolsch flip tops and TBH am moving towards the Coopers bottles instead.

Hope this helps...

Latest posts

Back