Building my first HERMS

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chastuck

Reaction score
Just recently I asked the forum for advice on building a HERMS and was grateful for the response, so I thought I would post up my efforts. My chosen vessel is a Baby Burco 10L water heater, as I managed to pick up one of these very cheaply on ebay - it cost me the grand sum of £6.50! As cheap as it was, it was in a bad state. The element was corroded, it was badly scaled, the lid knob was cracked, and it was missing the correct temperature dial. The washer in the tap was also faulty causing the tap to constantly dribble. The pics show the poor thing as picked up:
C10T-03_zpsaf96ad72.jpg

C10T-02_zps0657a33e.jpg

C10T-01_zps39b74fe6.jpg

After a good clean, descale and a new element this is now what it looks like:
DSCF1565a_zps722e6d0f.jpg

DSCF1564a_zpsd74e0589.jpg

I had a spare lid knob so replaced the broken one, and I have ordered a new control knob. A new tap washer was made up from 4mm silicon sheet. As it happens, I also had a spare 2.75 kW Burco element as well - it was given to me when I purchased a F33L model many years ago. A quick check on the wiring and thermostat showed all was now in working order.

So on with the HERMS build. I had 4 metres of 10mm copper coil left over from an immersion cooler I made, so I wound this around an Ikea utensil holder to get a nice tight shape. The coil is 155mm diameter and 130mm high, with about 7.5 turns. I have used JG 1/2" female push fit fittings to hold the coil to the lid, so that I can easily remove the coil to make sure the inside is dry after rinsing by placing it in the oven. It was suggested to me that any residual water or mash liquor in the copper coil could lead to verdigris forming, which I believe is poisonous. The internal dimensions of the 10L Burco are very similar to the size of a 6L therompot, which other members have often used for a HERMS. The stainless steel fittings on the lid are 1/2" BSP 50mm parallel nipples fitted either side of the lid with 1/2" BSP SS nuts. Under each nut I have used a stainless steel 1/2" BSP Dowty washer. My connections to the heat exchanger is by 1/2" BSP CK brass female hose couplings. The pictures I hope explain the construction:
DSCF1571a_zps73a819de.jpg

DSCF1569a_zps320abcd5.jpg

DSCF1572a_zpsdcccc692.jpg

It's all been tested for water tightness, so the next step is to train my PID. I'm looking forward to using it for my next brew

well done. a fine job.
My wife asks if she can send you her saucepans to clean up, she was well impressed with your clean

piddledribble said:
well done. a fine job.
My wife asks if she can send you her saucepans to clean up, she was well impressed with your clean
Thanks to everyone for their generous comments and encouragement. If anyone needs to descale something like this effectively I can recommend using Cillit Bang Power Cleaner - get the liquid not the foam spray. Let it trickle down the sides and watch in amazement as the limescale dissolves. Of course, rinse thoroughly and don't leave it on too long. A stiff nylon brush helps the process.

Is the 10l Burco 'too big' to be a Herms Heat Exchanger or is it ok?
I've seen a lot of builds just using a kettle (>2l) as the HE so with the Burco being 5 times the volume I wonder if that would make it less responsive to change the temperature?

DA

DethApostle said:
Is the 10l Burco 'too big' to be a Herms Heat Exchanger or is it ok?
I've seen a lot of builds just using a kettle (>2l) as the HE so with the Burco being 5 times the volume I wonder if that would make it less responsive to change the temperature?

DA
Not really - the internal size is roughly equivalent to the 6L thermopots often used for this role. When filled to the max level in the pot it is about 8L - the 'air' volume of the pot is 10L, not the water level. Also have a look at http://homebrewbuilder.co.uk/herms%20&%20rims.html. They are selling a 12L pot for a HERMS setup. Once the bulk of water has heated to the right temperature the larger volume of the water should retain the heat longer.

Interesting, thanks for the info!
(although now i've just seen it was in your 1st post! :doh:)

Hopefully this answer isn't... Are you using the Burco's dial for setting the temperature? Or will you be setting up a control panel too?

DethApostle said:
Interesting, thanks for the info!
(although now i've just seen it was in your 1st post! :doh:)

Hopefully this answer isn't... Are you using the Burco's dial for setting the temperature? Or will you be setting up a control panel too?
The control on this Burco model (C10T) has a thermostat with 6 settings. I will be leaving it set at the maximum setting (100 deg C) and powering the Burco via a PID unit I have constructed, see below:
DSCF0862.jpg

Top job there :clap:
I can gaurantee that nice looking workbench will not be the same in 20years :whistle:

mixale said:
Top job there :clap:
I can gaurantee that nice looking workbench will not be the same in 20years :whistle:
It's actually a very nice American oak desk from M&S and that's what I thought! Anyhow, I have now a sheet of 15mm plywood the same size as the top of the desk which goes on it when I'm soldering or metal bashing.

Latest posts

Back