Bulk Storing of European Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbynog

Reaction score
After being pleased with how the Coopers Australian Lager turned out I did a Coopers European Lager a few months ago. The garage was nice and cold so I was able to keep around 14 degrees with heating belts on timers for 3 weeks in primary then a couple of weeks in secondary. After just over a month in bottles everyone loves this but I am trying to keep!!

Anyway, thinking ahead to next winter....... bottles are the rate limiting step and with 120+ I don't want a great deal more but don't want to be having things set in bottles for 2 months+ before it is ready. With fermentation buckets being so cheap what I was planning to do was set about 4 lots on the go at a time, transfer to secondary FV for two to three months and store in the cold. As the bottles come free I would prime, rack into bottles and keep for around 1 more month before drinking.

Does anyone see any problem with doing this?

I'd be wary of leaving beer in a plastic bucket for so long. Firstly because they aren't properly sealed (unless they have a screw lid) and they will probably allow oxygen through which isn't good for the beer. But you might well get away with it.

Latest posts

Back