Bulldog Brew Bad Cat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great. I wish I'd bottled this instead of using a PB, it's a nice drink but with my pressurisation problem at the start there's no lasting carbonation.

Took another FG reading this week and mine is now 7.4%

Can see myself making this again

Attachments

• IMG_20180816_142719.jpg
    IMG_20180816_142719.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 133
Looks good, not sure why it would be but yours does seem a lot lighter than what's in my FV (And the sample jar ifor SG readings). Mine is darker and redder i would say.

Possibly as i only used around 22 litres to "thicken" it up a little as i will be watering down with a batch carb & the hop packs used about 300ml of boiling water.

Will have another look when they have been bottled for 3 weeks or so.

How did you carb Burtie? I am planning around 105 grams of dextrose batched into the transfer bucket. I had 125 ish grams in my last brew and although it is fine and not too carb'd, i feel it is a little too "fizzy" for Ale.

As I used a PB,I added 150g of normal sugar to the PB..
I've carbonated my IPA when bottling by adding a teaspoon (from one of those measuring sets) to each bottle via a funnel but next time I'll probably use a second FV have the sugar dissolved in boiling water and then add the wort from primary FV.

Ok, just got 43 x 500ml bottles of the cat done.
Very nice taste from the sample. Has a sweetish taste with an expected SG around 1010.
Batch primed with 110g dextrose as I didn't want it as gassy as the last brew.

Great.. Let me know how carbonation (secondary fermenting) goes. Had some of mine again tonight, still got that sweet taste..

Took a photo against a backdrop this time but it's more an Amber colour when held against the light ..

Attachments

• IMG_20180819_172636.jpg
    IMG_20180819_172636.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 138
Moving the crates of Cat into the cold garage after 2 weeks in a warmer place, i noticed i had a blown bottle.

Opened another bottle to make sure they weren't gushers and thankfully it looks like it may have been a bad/damaged bottle that had the blow out.

Brew needs to condition further now, taste is very nice for what i like. Very strong ale around 7.5%.

Overall impressed with it after only 2 weeks in the bottle, so into the garage for another 4 weeks now before testing again.

Initial thoughts are i will definitely make this brew again.

20180830_145801.jpg

this is my next kit brew. have done a couple of their evil dog IPAs and have been pleased with the results.
will do my usual short fill to 19L and have noted the tips about the yeast nutrient (only normally put that in my wine).

this is my next kit brew. have done a couple of their evil dog IPAs and have been pleased with the results.
will do my usual short fill to 19L and have noted the tips about the yeast nutrient (only normally put that in my wine).
Be aware this thread is over two years old. However my view you shouldn't need to use yeast nutrient for brewing beer. There should be enough nutrients in the wort for healthy yeast growth and fermentation, unlike country wine making where it definitely is required as you have noted. As to the yeast producing a sulphury smell as others have said some yeasts are known to do this, but it usually dissipates in the days of conditioning you should be allowing between the end of fermentation and packaging.

Be aware this thread is over two years old. However my view you shouldn't need to use yeast nutrient for brewing beer. There should be enough nutrients in the wort for healthy yeast growth and fermentation, unlike country wine making where it definitely is required as you have noted. As to the yeast producing a sulphury smell as others have said some yeasts are known to do this, but it usually dissipates in the days of conditioning you should be allowing between the end of fermentation and packaging.
yeah i had noted the thread vintage.
thanks for the nutrient info. the sulphury smell (should it appear) will have to fight against the bacon aroma that my kitchen often enjoys.

Wow, this is an old thread.... So much water has gone under the bridge.
I cannot now remember when and what was the last kit i brewed.
I remember this ale being very strong, alcohol wise on the tongue.
Good luck, it was a perfectly good ale but as i say had a very strong alcohol taste.

Wow, this is an old thread.... So much water has gone under the bridge.
I cannot now remember when and what was the last kit i brewed.
I remember this ale being very strong, alcohol wise on the tongue.
Good luck, it was a perfectly good ale but as i say had a very strong alcohol taste.
i don't, currently, have the space to do anything other than kits but i'm not overly bothered at the moment.
do like high ABV 'sipping' beers the majority of the time. got some godvia hops that'll be getting chucked in with this one. i'll report back when it's in its bottles.

Latest posts

Back