Campden tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels

Reaction score
I heard about Campden tablets on the forum so i checked them out on the web. I now know what they do but what i don't know is when should you use them and how do you know if you need to use them?
At the moment i am just brewing beer kits.

I use them whenever I rack. If your just brewing kits follow the kits instructions, if it doesn't say to use them, don't :thumb:
Just get used to doing them first :thumb:

The only thing your likely to use them for with a kit is to treat your water...half a crushed campden tab to 40 pints will remove chloramines and reduce the risk of a TCP taste in your beer

Cussword said:
I use them whenever I rack.
Hang on Cuss, that's fine for winemaking but this is posted under “Beer Brewing Discussions”.

Wheels: If you're brewing beer kits, you may wish to pre-treat your tap water like Dave said, but most kit brewers will never bother.

Check your water supplier on the internet to see what the reading is for hardness of the water and whether you need to use the tablets, in all honesty I'm in a hard water area so used half a crushed tablet a couple of times but I noticed no change in my lager to not adding any.

Good luck buddy :D

They're not used to adjust water hardness, they neutralise the chlorine and chloramines in your tap water which can cause off tastes.

Moley said:
Cussword said:
I use them whenever I rack.
Hang on Cuss, that's fine for winemaking but this is posted under “Beer Brewing Discussions”.

Wheels: If you're brewing beer kits, you may wish to pre-treat your tap water like Dave said, but most kit brewers will never bother.

I stand corrected :oops:

Seems to me as a newcomer to homebrew kits that there is more confusion over the use of campden tablets than anything else.
As a kit brewer is the best advice to always use tap water (im in essex where the water is very hard) and use a campden tablet or is it easier to simply use supermarket bottled water?
Also what is the exact procedure for using a campden tablet?

iian said:
Also what is the exact procedure for using a campden tablet?

I also live in a hard water area, use the kits and my beer sometimes tastes and smells "off" (chemici yaste) It either goes down the sink or is mixed with lemonade to convert to shandy.

Perhaps I should also be using a campden tablet.

All advice appreciated.

Tap water will be fine. The campden takes away the chlorine as described above. If you use it, and I do, then half a tablet (crushed) in 23l of water

V sat2

Thanks for your reply. Half a Campden tablet will be used next time.

I recently made a Wherry kit using some 5 Litre bottles of water from the supermarket, and I must say the beer tastes fantastic, probably the best kit I have made.

I'm thinking of using 1/2 a Campden tablet for my next batch to see if it makes any difference at all. Should this be added once the desired level of water is added to the wort?

Thanks for that Beer Eagle I have a spare FV so I'll pre condition with half a campden tablet as you suggest.

Going off thread slightly I've been led to believe that the scum which forms on the brew after a day or so should be removed in order to prevent the brew being "yeast bitten"

Any thoughts on this?

I've never had a problem with it and have never seen a forum post saying it needs to be removed. It just drops to the bottom and provides more yeast nutrient IIRC.

Back