Campden Tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiddylad

Reaction score
Hi All
I have just bought a pack of Young’s Campden tablets from Wilkos as I have heard that it helps remove chlorine from tap water. But before I use them as was wondering if anyone could give me an overview of what Campden tablets actual do and what impacts it may have on your finished beer. I live in a hard water area and so I buy the 17p bottles of water from Tesco’s when I am doing light beers, and by light I mean pale ales, lagers etc, and I use my tap water when doing dark beers such as a stout. The mash pH of my dark beers is usually around 5.5 so no complaints there.

So ultimately what benefits am I likely to get using campden tablets? Am I likely to get a drop in my mash pH? Are there any flavour consequences? Also what is the best method of using campden tablets and what should I be aware of? I am assuming that the campden tablets precipitates out the chlorine and any other minerals, can these been seen? I on average use around 36 litres of water for each 23 litre batch I brew, how many tablets should I use for that amount of water. Finally how long do you let it water stand after you have introduced the campden tablet to the water.

A lot of questions I know but I thought it would be good to get a thorough overview of what the benefits are and how to use them.

Thanks

Neil

Back