Capping 660ml Budweiser bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morepunk

Reaction score
Has anyone had any joy capping 660ml Budweiser bottles?

A guy from work has been saving them for me and I had a quick go at capping. It didn't have the same feel as capping a normal 500ml bottle, and didn't quite feel like it was on properly. Didn't take as much effort to remove the cap either.

The bottles are a great size, but I don't want to ruin a batch with an ineffective seal!

Thanks for the suggestion. Strange thing is, if I put the 660ml bottle end-to-end with a 500ml bottle, the top appears to be exactly the same width. Can't see any obvious physical differences with the bottles, but there must be something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each capper I've used seems to have a few brands of bottle that don't work with it.

It may bethat you need a larger (29mm) capping bell on your capper to cap 660ml bottles. Dont know for sure though as I've never attempted to cap a 660ml bottle

would i need to use my 29mm cap adaptor for big desperados bottles ?

Might be the capper you are using. I use both 500ml and 660ml bottles and use a benchtop capper with no problems. I was told that the two handed cappers don't work on some bigger bottles due to the lip of the bottle.

would i need to use my 29mm cap adaptor for big desperados bottles ?

If they are the same as the big Singha, Birra Moretti etc bottles then no, they should take normal caps. Be careful with them though as I had a couple of Moretti bottles exploded for me, so I'm not sure how great they are for holding pressure!

Might be the capper you are using. I use both 500ml and 660ml bottles and use a benchtop capper with no problems. I was told that the two handed cappers don't work on some bigger bottles due to the lip of the bottle.

It may be that then, as I just use a cheap two-handed one. Sounds like an excuse to get a branch capper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2 handed ones crimp lower then the lip so don't seal correctly I was told.wheras the bench capper just forces the cap on. I may of just been conned into spending £20 on a capper though.

The brewdog 660ml punk ipa bottles work great.
I try to fill one of these each brew to drink at Xmas.

If they are the same as the big Singha, Birra Moretti etc bottles then no, they should take normal caps. Be careful with them though as I had a couple of Moretti bottles exploded for me, so I'm not sure how great they are for holding pressure!

they seem to be holding uop so far :whistle::thumb:

I'm not sure. I only know you need the 29mm bell for hogaarden bottles

is that for the big bottles only or the smaller 2 varitions aswell ?

my bench capper came with both heads , but i ask stupidly if there is another size other then standard 26mm caps

is that for the big bottles only or the smaller 2 varitions aswell ?

my bench capper came with both heads , but i ask stupidly if there is another size other then standard 26mm caps

I dont know tbh, another forumite mentioned that you need a 29mm bell for hogaarden bottles.
Afaik all the actual caps themselves are all the same size but the bottle mouth/rim may be different on bottles like hogaarden. All my bottles are standard size.
I've never needed to use the 29mm bell. In fact it's still zip tied to my bench capper

I dont know tbh, another forumite mentioned that you need a 29mm bell for hogaarden bottles.
Afaik all the actual caps themselves are all the same size but the bottle mouth/rim may be different on bottles like hogaarden. All my bottles are standard size.
I've never needed to use the 29mm bell. In fact it's still zip tied to my bench capper

kind of wishing that mine was in all honesty!

its the same for champange bottles aswell isnt it ?

I experienced this issue yesterday bottling a Cooper's Mexican Cerveza, San Miguel bottles are a definite no no! As someone mention earlier, the 2 handled capper slips and doesn't secure around the lower lip of the bottle. However, Birra Morreti & Estrella 660ml bottles have capped fine. The 26mm Bell unscrews and you can replace with a 29mm Bell, you will also need 29mm crowns.

----------------------------------------
Turbo Cider: Bottled and Conditioning
Brewferm Ambrioux: Bottled and Conditioning
Coopers Mexican Cerveza: Bottled
Brewferm Christmas: FV1

Latest posts

Back