Carbonation & head formation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerlout

Reaction score
Hey guys, pretty basic question really... If my beer has poor head formation shortly after seecondary fermentation (say after 3 weeks in the bottle) does this mean it will always have poor head formation? Or is it not only related to the carbonation level of the beer? I am hoping that age will also improve the head on my brews, as the 2 most recent kits I have done have absolutely zero head on them. These are the coopers irish stout which was batch primed with 100g black treacle, and my betterbrew czech pilsner which was batch primed with 150g sugar. They are otherwise not flat - plenty of gas in the beer, just no head :hmm:

Both are young still and both have a nice taste, and both were left in the warm after bottling at room temp (18-20C) for 2 weeks. Just hoping that after a few more weeks my beer wil have a nice head to go with the already impressive taste!

Cheers :cheers:

Is the beer very fizzy/over carbonated? this can cause poor head retention, another thing to look at is your glass, is it very clean and without the slightest bit of cleaning liquid or grease?

Another thing to try is the lager glasses that you can borrow from bars on an unlimited lease, the type with the logo at the bottom that releases co2 from liquid suspension. :thumb:

BB :drink:

I'd say it's normally carbonated but not overly. I've been trying them in my usual big traditional glass ale mug, the type with the handle. I will try one later in a plastic pint glass as randomly they seem to create the best pint with any of my other brews! :hmm:

lagerlout said:
I'd say it's normally carbonated but not overly. I've been trying them in my usual big traditional glass ale mug, the type with the handle. I will try one later in a plastic pint glass as randomly they seem to create the best pint with any of my other brews! :hmm:
Do you have any glasses with the white logo in the bottom?

I did the Czech pilsner, after 3 weeks it was flat & tasted like ****, after 2 months it has a good head and tastes very good. Be patient !

Nah nothing like that - I suspect this weekend down the local, one of their pint glasses may fall into SWMBO's handbag :whistle: If this makes a difference i shall have to invest in a set of proper glasses.

lagerlout said:
I will try one later in a plastic pint glass as randomly they seem to create the best pint with any of my other brews! :hmm:

Just going to have to check the rules in the admin section, but I'm pretty sure admitting to drinking beer out of plastic glasses is a banning, nay hanging offence.

;)

jamesb said:
lagerlout said:
I will try one later in a plastic pint glass as randomly they seem to create the best pint with any of my other brews! :hmm:

Just going to have to check the rules in the admin section, but I'm pretty sure admitting to drinking beer out of plastic glasses is a banning, nay hanging offence.

;)

:shock:

I can explain.. these were bought for when i take some of my brews out to a mate's house or something, there are never enough pint glasses around so i bring a pack of plastic ones with me and strangely they hold an excellent lager - head stays to the bottom of the glass and plenty of bubble action going on too :cheers:

Back