CFC build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerbera84

Reaction score
Evening,

I had a few bits and bobs around the brew-garage so decided to build a counterflow chiller. The build consists of a hefty 22mm stainless coil taken from a hot water cylinder with an 8mm copper coil inside of it. Threading the copper coil through the stainless coil was a fair challenge. The original stainless coil had eight coils but had to trim it down to four because the copper did not want to go any further! Took a couple of photos:

Untitled by Ben, on Flickr

Usual bolged soldering with my hot air gun, but always ends watertight! Tested with garden hose tonight, both coils leak free.

No idea yet of chilling times but I'm planning on circulating the beer output back into the whirlpool port on the MaltMother. Might add a thermometer in an equal tee to view temps...

Cheers

Ben

Looks very good:thumb:

An in-line thermometer on the outlet is very handy as it lets you adjust the cold water flow to get the best efficiency. A fast cold water flow is not always the most efficient.

finally got round to using this CFC, brewed the Nelson Sauvin recipe from Greg Hughes' book again.

My pump had blocked with leaf hops so I gravity drained the wort from the MaltMother through the CFC and into the fermenter. The wort was cooling to 17 degrees in one pass, so very happy with that!

Latest posts

Back