ChamALEon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's a beer I found at one of my locals but they had it once and then it was gone. Brewed by The Crafty Little Brewery in Hull, their website is quite useful:

Our realm is full of exotic beasts – none stranger than the fabled ChamALEon. This curious creature adapts its characteristics and flavour on a whim, changing as often as the wind. Though constantly evolving, it’s form remains constant. This extraordinary extra pale ale is made with oats for great palate fullness and mouthfeel, and packed with glorious Citra & Mosaic hops.

The rest…only the ChamALEon knows.

Malt Bill: Maris Otter Pale with Oats added for extra body and mouthfeel.
Hops: Cascade, Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic and Equinot
Current ABV: 4.0% IBU: 45

Thing is, I'm a bit useless (new) at creating a recipe. Can anyone suggest a way to put together an approximate 20L brew using the listed ingredients? As it says, the beer changes a fair bit so no chance I'll brew it the same as the one I tasted but I'd like to get in the ball park. I'm all grain BIAB.

Last edited:
Anyone? I'm feeling sorry for my post with 0 replies - is this a forum first?

Just a bit of advice on amounts of fermentables and what is likely to be the bittering Vs late hop additions would be all I'm looking for.

You can't exactly replicate a beer just from a list of ingredients, but you may be able to create something in a similar vain. Here are a few rough guidelines.
Have a play with some brewing software, such as Brewers Friend, just click on 'RECIPES' at the top of the page.
Aim for 5 - 10% flaked oats and adjust malt quantities to the desired ABV.
Bittering hops don't tend to have a great impact on the final beer flavour, other than the bitterness, so choose the cheapest per % of alpha acid and add sufficient at the start of boil to give 25- 30 IBU's (with the rest of the bitterness coming from the later hops).
Split your later additions over about 3 steps (e.g. 20 mins, 5 mins, flameout) to give depth of flavour, plus possibly dry hopping if the beer had dominant hop aroma.
For a hoppy beer like this aim for a total hop amount of 150 - 300g (depending on your bank balance). Recheck your IBU value and adjust hop quantities (and/or times) as appropriate.

Back