Charging soda stream bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I share a 6kg CO2 cylinder with a mate and we both have Sodastream bottles and want to recharge our Sodastream bottles from the big cylinder. We purchased the adapter but nothing seems to happen. The adapter has a straight through bore through the centre with no central pin to engage with the Sodastream valve so wonder if we've got the correct adapter? It has no screw thread so doesn't look like there are any components missing and they're both the later Sodastream bottles. We hook everything up and open up the tap on 'big bertha' and nothing happens.

Am I missing anything? I believe they are both the latest style of valve on the Sodastream bottles. The only way it can work from what I can see is that the pressure form the big cylinder forces open the Sodastream valve and as it approaches being filled and pressure equalises between the two cylinders the valve closes. But this isn't working. There is no physical device that pushes the Sodastream valve open.

Thanks.

There is a list of threads on Sodastream here Search results for query: sodastream

Edit:
As far as I know the new Sodastream bottles have some kind of internal check valve to prevent refilling. This is most likely what is stopping the flow from your big cylinder to the Sodastream. The adapter itself doesn't need a pin to push the top valve of the Sodastream - the pressure should do the job. I saw a website (can't remember which one) selling replacement Sodastream valves suitable for refilling - I found them too expensive, though it may be worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks. Looked at several YouTube vids but none have suggested you need to do anything other than hook everything up and you're good to go. Will review the other threads you've pointed me to.

I'll be reading any answers with interest. I have recently moved to kegging and hope to be able to fill sodastream cylinder from a 6kg cylinder.

Everything I've used with sodastream cylinder previously (Hambleton Bard S30 adaptor, 5/8" regulator adapter) have used a pin to depress the sodastream valve pin. It seems almost unfeasible that gas pressure alone would force the pin open.

Can you share a link to the adaptor you purchased?

I am watching this also, i have just gone over to corny kegs i also have 2 soda stream bottles, we do a few static caravan holidays a year and i was thinking to take a corny with us and use a soda stream to serve

Seems like the trick might be to open the valve very very slowly as the Sodastream valves closes when it is fully opened, so if you open the donor cylinder valve too quickly it fully opens the Sodastream valve thus shutting it off internally. By cracking open the valve very very slowly you only partially open the Sodastream valve and enable the gas to flow. Will give it a try later.

I'll post up the valve I bought if successful. My mate ordered it so not sure where he got it from.

Hi,

Yes opening it slowly is one trick. It is not easy ... I usually need two attempts to get it right. You will hear the gas flowing and then you can open completely. It Will take about 30 seconds to refill.

Second is the question if your donor bottles have a riser pipe. Otherwise you need to turn them upside down.

And the last tip. The soda stream cylinder needs to be totally empty

Btw. You will only get it filled to 70% so don't wonder when you weight the cylinders

Greetings
Daniel

Last edited:
Don't forget you need to turn the 6kg bottle upside down, you want the pressure in the big bottle to force liquid co2 into the small bottle, not gas. You'll also need a regulator that can cope with passing liquid co2. I was going to get this set up to recharge my folks bottles, but easier and simpler to just make the fizzy water for them!

Previous discussions (which put me off) Sodastream refill set up

Back