Cheap PET bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littonlad

Reaction score
I intend putting my current batch of lager in 1 ltr PET bottles so have been shopping around.

Not that they're all expensive but at Tescos they're selling 1 litre flavoured carbonated water in the exact same bottles for 4 for £1.40,which beats any online price for empty ones I seen hands down.

What do you thinks peeps?

:hmm:

Go for it :thumb:

Check the prices on their mixers (tonic water, dry ginger etc.), the last I bought were 3 for £1.

littonlad said:
I intend putting my current batch of lager in 1 ltr PET bottles so have been shopping around.

Not that they're all expensive but at Tescos they're selling 1 litre flavoured carbonated water in the exact same bottles for 4 for £1.40,which beats any online price for empty ones I seen hands down.

What do you thinks peeps?

:hmm:

These bottles work very well, I bought mine from Sainsbro's but would imagine them to be the same bottles, a word of advise tho' I bought some fruit flavoured ones as the wife would drink them but no matter how much I washed them the brew tasted slightly of the fruit that was in the water after bottling, I then decided to buy the lemon & lime as these are neutral flavours in lager or bitter etc.....

Colin

2lt water is only 17p bottles might be too big for you

Will they stand the pressure ok? I saw them and plain water would be much more use than fizzy pop to us.

I know the homebrew PET bottles are more expensive, I use them quite a bit for beer that is not going to be conditioned over a long time. The issue I had with the cheaper bottles is that they are a lot thinner which means they leak gas in and out more quickly (not an issue if you are not keeping the beer for long), they are not easy to reuse as they lose their shape when washing out with hot water and when carbonating with injected gas or priming sugar.
The purpose made ones are a bit overpriced but a bit sturdier so if you get to reuse them a few times they may well work out a reasonable option.

Hi Mate.

I've been using the Sainsburys 3 for 1.10 flavoured water bottles for ages and they are fine...they are dead-on regarding pressure and as long as you wash them well (I just use bleach and rinse really really well) and they'll be fine...I suspect the tescos ones will be fine as well.
I usually brew Coopers lager (bit set in my ways) so 2 carbonation drops in each bottle make a lovely beer.

I use 2 litre pop bottles, mostly Coke. They are great and the kids think I am getting a treat for them. I don't reuse them much because we get through them at a fair rate at the moment. They don't seem to go 'off' as long as they haven't bee used for anything else.

I only ever used PET bottles once, that was for my mild beer. i don't like them personally but i think the little 500ml one (like lucozade bottles) are pretty cool :P :cool:

klaus said:
littonlad said:
2lt water is only 17p bottles might be too big for you

Will they stand the pressure ok? I saw them and plain water would be much more use than fizzy pop to us.

You might be ok with the still water bottles but I would go for fizzy bottles, just to be on the safe side.....

These are the bottles that I have been using for my fizzy brews and they have held up fine; they seem identical to the fizzy bottles and I have had lager in them for just over a month now and still haven't heard a bang.

In my local asda they currently on offer at an even more astonishing 14p!

Latest posts

Back