Cheap sparge water heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of jumping in at the All-grain deep end and getting an all in one brewing system: Bulldog Brewer; Grainfather; Ace Microbrewery - still a way off deciding which one or being able to afford it. And wife still not convinced....

But in the meantime, can anyone recommend a really cheap sparge water heater to go with it? I see the GF heater is £99. Is there anything cheaper that would do the job?

Thanks!

I manage to heat all my gf sparge water in a 15 litre saucepan on the stove, which has worked so far for me, brewing in the kitchen.

For sparging ditto above - heated on an old caravan stove I keep in the garage and transferred to the Mash Tun via a Pyrex Jug.

The Mash Tun is made out of a Cool-Box, a garden tap and some old copper pipe and fittings (unsoldered).

My boiler was knocked up out of a Wilco FV, a plastic tap and a cheap Tesco kettle.

The Coil Cooler is a disgrace - but it does the job.

My advice is become an enthusiastic brewer ... :thumb:

... and SWMBO MAY finally submit (if not agree) to letting you buy better gear ... :thumb: :thumb:

... but don't bank on it; I still use the gear in the photographs! :whistle:

Mash Tun.jpg

Boiler.jpg

Coil Cooler.jpg

I use an ACE boiler for all 3 processes.
Heat the water for the mash, then whilst I'm mashing, heat the water for the sparge.
Sparge in to my FV, then transfer all this back to the ACE for boiling.

Also the beauty of using the FV to sparge in to, is it gives me an accurate measure for how much wort I have.
So no calculating how much sparge water to add, just stop sparging when the desired goal is reached.
I usually stop sparging a few litres above my intended brew size.

I bulk sparge so just use the kettle to put 12L of boiling water in a spare FV and add a bit of cold to get the correct temp

I usually do BIAB and for sparge I do a mash out then plunge the grain bag into cold water to mash. Some say cold sparging ruins the beer but I've not yet tasted any difference. :thumb:

Edit: By "cold" I basically mean not hot. Room temp in my flat is around 25c so bottled water around that temp is what I usually use.

Thanks folks,
Really helpful stuff.
Why didn't I think to just use a pan or a kettle?
You've just saved me £99
Cheers.

Back