Cherry Polish Syrup Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weepete

Reaction score
So, a couple of my mates went to Poland and managed to bring me back a few Polish syrups. I finally got a brew on tonight.

Recipe:
440ml Polish syrup (cherry flavour)
4l Welches white grape, apple & pear
650g Sugar
1/2 tsp Pectolase
2 Tablets yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp Tannin
1/4 tsp Mixed acid
1 tsp GP yeast

Should end up around the 11-12.5% mark if I've got the sugar content right.

Earlier on this week I made up a mix of a little of the syrup, water and yeast in a bottle and it fermented out ok. I'm hopeing this means there's no preservatives in in to kill the fermentation, so we'll see!

I go to Poland from time to time with work.

Other than Zubrowka (Bison Grass Vodka), are there other delights I should be bringing back with me then?

Oh yes mate, I tried a small bit of the syrops and they are good indeed. This is my first attempt at brewing with them, but am told they are good as cordials, in smoothies etc and i can see would go really well with ice cream! A couple of my Polish mates even put them in beer!

The ones I got were called Dar Lata, but tescos does a syrop wisniowy over here too. The important thing for brewing is to get one without preservatives that can be used straight from the bottle. The ones with preservatives you need to boil first. The cherry one I got kinda tastes like a sweet maricchino cherry sherbet flavour.

Milka Alpejskeie Mleczko sweets are great too, kinda like a milky marshmallow fudge covered in chocolate and are delicious!

Ok, I'll give them a go. I'll probably need some colleagues help though. I have an allergy to many artificial sweeteners (hence why I can't do the tropical wines using Robinson's no-added-sugar).

I don't know what Poland are like for Sweeteners - here in the UK, we use them for cheapness more than anything else.

I'll go have a hunt in the local Biedronka (I love that shop - it's like Aldi, but much, much cheaper).

Yeah, google translate can be helpful when checking out the ingredients list, or so I found anyway.

Uptade on the wine: After a wee bit of a slow start the wine is now bubling away. I'd left a fair bit of headspace in case it foamed up, but it only produced a little foam which died down quickly. So I topped it up last night with more grape juice and it foamed up again, producing quite a bit more than the last time! I sat it in a spare pot just in case it came through the airlock, but thankfully it hasn't and its now blooping away nicley at about 80bpm. Nothing to do now but wait!

weepete said:
So, a couple of my mates went to Poland and managed to bring me back a few Polish syrups. I finally got a brew on tonight.

Recipe:
440ml Polish syrup (cherry flavour)
4l Welches white grape, apple & pear
650g Sugar
1/2 tsp Pectolase
2 Tablets yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp Tannin
1/4 tsp Mixed acid
1 tsp GP yeast

Should end up around the 11-12.5% mark if I've got the sugar content right.

Earlier on this week I made up a mix of a little of the syrup, water and yeast in a bottle and it fermented out ok. I'm hopeing this means there's no preservatives in in to kill the fermentation, so we'll see!

If its lowicz syrup it's fine there are no preservatives in that - I use it in TC and strawberry lager.
It's also easily available in the uk, from continental supermarkets and even tesco. Our local continental supermarket has about ten different flavours.
I looked at the welch's juice in Asda at the weekend and while its not 100% juice it doesn't list any preservatives from what I can remember.
Sounds good let us know how you get on!! :thumb:

Cheers mate, it's not the Lowicz one though, brand name seems to be Dar Lata. It's doing grand now, fermentation well under way and going strong so all is good.

You're right, the Welches juice I used isn't 100% but as I'm aiming for the syrop to be the main flavour I'm not too fussed, and my local supermarkets don't stock white grape juice! And no preservitives in it either.

I'll keep the updates going and let you all know how it goes.

Right, I kinda messed this one up along with a rasberry one I did shortly after. I miscalculated the total sugar somehow and there's nearer 2kg of sugar than the 1.2, I normally aim for. Frmentation stopped around 1.040 and its sickly with way too much syrop for 1 gallon. So following the suggestion of one of the other members on this forum I split it accross two djs and topped up with more juice, added more yeast nutrient and more yeast to start the fermentation again. Fingers crossed it'll work out now!

I've used the Lowicz Rasberry with lime flowers one from Tesco in two brews; a 5ltr with just RGJ and a 15ltr with RGJ and Lidl Blackcurrent. Personally I found it way overpowering in 5ltrs and only just right in the 15ltr batch.

@P_H_I_L_L,
How much of the Lowicz syrup did you use in a Gallon?. I'm planning to add some to my TC which has been going like a dream for the last 6 days and still bubbling strongly in the Airlock but wasn't sure how much.
Thanks

LeithR said:
@P_H_I_L_L,
How much of the Lowicz syrup did you use in a Gallon?. I'm planning to add some to my TC which has been going like a dream for the last 6 days and still bubbling strongly in the Airlock but wasn't sure how much.
Thanks

I used the full 440ml bottle in 5ltrs. In a cider it might be nice to have the sharp raspberry come through. I fermented my wine out very dry.

Drew a sample off today to test and though not quite finished (sg 1.010) is tasting very good indeed. Fingers crossed it'll hold up but at this stage its probably the best one I've made yet.

Back