Chilling quickly or overnight cool

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott33b

Reaction score
Hi folks.
Does cooling the wort straight after boiling seal in the hop flavour and aroma?
Does the wort lose hop flavour and aroma if left in wort and cooled overnight?

Can't get my head round hopping!! :cheers:

Scott33b said:
Hi folks.
Does cooling the wort straight after boiling seal in the hop flavour and aroma?

It helps.

Does the wort lose hop flavour and aroma if left in wort and cooled overnight?

Not necessarily, however leaving it to cool overnight leaves it vulnerable to bacterial infection.

Can't get my head round hopping!! :cheers:

More research needed!

Just not sure how long to leave hops in.
Lots of recipes state hop at 0 mins. So i assume that's at the end of the boil. But how long are they left in for? Overnight? 30 mins? Then cool?

:cheers:

flame out zero hops

what i do is at 5 mins left in boil add an addition of hops

then end of boil flame out i wait till the wort is chilled to 80C add hops then hold at that temp for 20 or so mins then fully chill to pitching temp

:thumb:

I do similar. I leave to cool to 90C (about 10 minutes) then add hops and leave for 20 minutes to steep. I alos like to chop the flameoui hops in a food processor to aid flavour extraction.
As for your origional question. The longer you leave your wort at a higher temperature, the more the alpha acids will isomerise. This gives increased bitterness. If you chill, your brew will be less bitter than if you leave it to cool on it's own.
I don't chill but my recipes are designed with this in mind. I use a relatively small amount of bittering hops and whack a load in late and at flameout. I also dry hop to get freshness.

Latest posts

Back