Chocolate stout recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee117

Reaction score
I'm new to beer brewing and I want to brew a chocolate stout (2gal batch)

Could any one suggest a recipe and boiling schedule for a sweet chocolate stout using only dry malt extract and hops?

I struggle to get liquid malt extract.

I have Demijohns and FVs what would be best to use?

I'd be grateful for your help

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Buy a cheap stout kit to use has the base malt then add a couple or three lidle 80% pure dark chocolate bars dissolved in the boiling water mix, then add 300g of lactose after fermentation let it clear and bottle if you want sweet add some truvia dissolved in a bit of boiling water at the same time as the lactose taste for sweetness then bottle.

I'm new to beer brewing and I want to brew a chocolate stout (2gal batch)

Could any one suggest a recipe and boiling schedule for a sweet chocolate stout using only dry malt extract and hops?

I struggle to get liquid malt extract.

I have Demijohns and FVs what would be best to use?

I'd be grateful for your help

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
If you want liquid extract get ya bum down to Holland and Barratt,Potters liquid malt is good for stouts etc as it's quite dark,they also do their own which is lighter in colour.Get some Lactose for a sweet beer.
I did a choc stout/porter type brew with extract a fair while ago,came out ok.
Used both spray and liquid extract,brown sugar,treacle ,choc,black and roast barley grains steeped with bramling x and fuggles hops along with cocoa nibs added to the FV.
Just spray malt and hops aint going to make a sweet chocy stout:-?
:thumb:

Here is a recipe I made earlier this year using cocoa powder. Friends who tried it both told me it tasted like a chocolate milkshake. ABV was around 4% from memory.

Last Minute Milk Stout
1.7kg OS Stout
500g LDM
300g Dextrose
150g Choc Malt
150g Crystal
75g Roasted Barley
300g Lactose
125g 100% Cocoa powder
Nottingham yeast
20 litre batch

Back