CIDER: Been Brewing since September 26... Am I ready? HELP!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrandedinCanada

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I've been making my first batch of cider (8 US Gallons) and put it all in a fermenting bucket back on September 24th... Added some campdens to disable any natural yeasts, then added Champagne Yeast on the 26th along with Tannin, Pectin, Yeast Nutrient and whatever other extras were needed at the time. (Feel free to read through my other couple of posts to read through the distress and paranoia) LOL :)

Looked for advice on putting in a secondary fermenting jar, or just leaving things as-is in the bucket was without touching anything... General consensus was just to leave things in the primary FV until I was ready to bottle (or in my case, to keg it).

So here we are, a couple of weeks shy of three months and, I guess, I'm just looking for reassurance on where to go from here... I haven't touched anything in the slightest, which (hopefully) means that all the fresh air was pushed out during fermentation and it's all been preserved with CO2 at the top of the bucket...

Looking any the brew, it's a nice clear fluid with about < 1/3 of an inch of sediment at the bottom (yeast and/or whatever). My plan has always been to put the cider into a commercial grade steel beer keg which holds 7.75 US Gallons (so that leaves me a little tiny bit of play-room to fill the keg right up to the brim and limit any fresh-air exposure I thought)...

So, with all this in mind, what are you guys thinking? Basically, this brew will be going into one of those 'kegerator' fridges to be served ice cold - forced through with a CO2 tank (like beer is)... Do you think it'll be naturally sparkling? Do you think I should try to make it sparkling? Looking for a 'traditional' brew, but something that tastes good primarily...

Just looking for any and all advice on where I should go from here: Should I think about kegging it next weekend (the 15th) to allow it time to settle in the keg for 10 days and/or whatever...

Just any and all advice... I want this to be a banging good British Christmas... and a little proper cider will go down a good treat I'd say :)

Thanks so much all

I don't think it'll be naturally sparkling unless you add priming sugar when you keg it. It's gonna be dry as a bone right now, too. Suggest you have some AJ on hand to serve it over for people who aren't as keen on dry as I am. If you're using a CO2 supply on the keg I dunno if you need to prime it: I only ever bottle.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply fella... Erm... OK...

So, couple of questions from this: (1) Priming Sugar: What is/how much to add/opinions/success rate/etc
(2) "AJ" --- no idea...

:)

Thanks for getting back to me matey :)

Dunno how much priming sugar for a keg as I only bottle, but for that I use a teaspoon (5ml) of ordinary table sugar per pint (or 500ml - depends what bottles I have) - and then you have a CO2 thing on your keg so probably need less.

AJ=AppleJuice

Latest posts

Back