Cider taste from Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianbrewed

Landlord.
Reaction score
Brewed a dortmunder export recipe a few months ago.
The taste was fine from the fermenter but since it was bottled a strong cider/green apple taste sprung up.
Any ideas how to prevent this in the future or how to remedy it.
Used two packs of Bohemian lager yeast by the way.

Here you go: http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/07/13/acetaldehyde-in-home-brewed-beer-the-green-apple-off-flavor/.

I got it once using a kit, but that was easily explained that time as I'd primed a few bottles using white sugar, and these were the only ones with the cider taste in them.... Now I have said this, somebody will come along and say how it definitely couldn't possibly be that as they use white sugar to prime and it's never happened to them... ;)

If I'm honest I do find this a bit odd. Firstly I use white sugar to prime and it's never happened to me, but that's just anecdote. My understanding based on hearing a recent podcast with Chris White of White Labs is that off flavours are not generated during the fermentation that happens due to priming. This is because off flavours are usually associated with the yeast growth phase and for priming beer the yeast won't be stimulated to grow to consume the small amount of sugar used for priming. As an example, he said that there had been trials where Hefeweizen yeast were used to prime a clean lager and no odd flavours were noted at all.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that I find it odd that white sugar cause it.

So many people use white sugar i cant really see how that could be the culprit although i use brewing sugar. This winter my bottled lagers have not cleared very well despite being crystal when i bottled them so i expect to have to leave them a long time. They still taste good though.
How much yeast did you pitch? Did you get plenty of oxygen into the wort. Did you raise the temps and leave it long enough at the end. When i started i bottled loads of beer i thought was ok at the time and ended up being cack and binned. I tastes everything now before i bottle just in case i may not want to but its not always as easy to tell as you might think.

Thanks for the replies.
I fermented with two packs of yeast in a cold bedroom (no temp control at the mo)

The lager tasted fine from the fermenter. Issue only arrived in bottle.
I have been priming with white sugar for all my beers for the past 2 years and this is the first time I've had a green apple taste

If you didn’t raise the temperature at the end of fermentation I’d guess acetealdehyde. That’s a yeast byproduct like diacetyl that is cleaned up at the end but you normally want to raise the temperature to do that. If you don’t have temperature control moving it from a cold room to a warm one would suffice to do this.

It’s a bit odd but not beyond the realm of possibility that you didn’t notice it until the beer was carbonated.

I had this problem with two brews a couple of years back. The beer was lovely and then this apple flavour appeared and got worse. I think I pinpointed it to the temperature control. I soon made a fermentation chamber and never had the problem since. It does eventually condition out it took 6+ months I think

Back