Cider taste in wherry after 1 week in bottle.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony dodds

Reaction score
Hi guys, I think I'm here for reassurance. I tried a bottle of wherry last night which has only been in the bottle for a week. The head was good but it tasted cidery.
My question is will this disappear if given another month to condition? Many thanks.

The cidery taste is probably acetaldehyde, which forms naturally during fermentation and has a smell usually described as 'green apples'. Usually towards the end of the fermentation, once the yeast has used up all the fermentable, it starts 'cleaning up', consuming many of the by products it has produced during fermentation, acetaldehyde being one of them.

How long did you leave the beer fermenting for before bottling? Beer kit instructions are notorious for underestimating the time needed to produce good beer. Most experienced home brewers recommend the 2+2+2 formula for ales, 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks in bottles carbonating (at warm temperature ~20°C) and 2 weeks conditioning in bottles (at cool temperatures (~12°C).

The cidery taste is probably acetaldehyde, which forms naturally during fermentation and has a smell usually described as 'green apples'. Usually towards the end of the fermentation, once the yeast has used up all the fermentable, it starts 'cleaning up', consuming many of the by products it has produced during fermentation, acetaldehyde being one of them.

How long did you leave the beer fermenting for before bottling? Beer kit instructions are notorious for underestimating the time needed to produce good beer. Most experienced home brewers recommend the 2+2+2 formula for ales, 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks in bottles carbonating (at warm temperature ~20°C) and 2 weeks conditioning in bottles (at cool temperatures (~12°C).
Cheers mate. It was in the fermenter for 4 weeks. I'm really hoping that the flavour will condition out.

Back