Cider Yeast Recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattyJJ

Reaction score
Ok, so i can tell enough from google that asking what kind of yeast to use for making cider has been done to death, but none the less i'm going to ask you all again. Sorry

I'm going to be starting a batch of cider this coming weekend.
Can anyone recommend me a good yeast, seems champagne yeast is the go to, but i understand it can give a very dry result.
I'm want to make something with some residual sweetness and smooth easy drinking with a nice apple flavour.
Nottingham perhaps? But i also read that can give a slight beery flavour, i bloody hate beer (sorry again)
The other ones i was looking at was VR21 or WLP720
But if anyone has any other good recommendations i'm all ears.

Also worth noting i'm doing this in the garage. While it's not freezing in there, it's a far cry from warm....

Cheers all

Are you making a TC from juice cartons, or the real deal with apples ?

(Not that it makes much difference to my reply :) )

I've used a variety of difference cider yeasts when making turbo cider, Gervin, Mangrove Jacks, Youngs etc.. and you're right, they all come out fairly dry.

What I use now, that might be sneered at by the puritans :mrgreen:, is a generic cider yeast with sweetener included, that I get from a shop on ebay. It powers through the fermentation as good as any other, and takes the edge off the dryness.

I think any yeast that ferments a cider out completely, is going to leave it fairly dry, cos all the sugar is converted into alcohol :drunk:

I'm using proper apples, i friend from work has a load of apple trees in his garden and is kindly donating me the produce in exchange for something (hopefully) drinkable. Not sure on the varieties, but from what i can tell it's a mix of dessert and some cookers too.

Safale Safcider yeast is pretty good - very tolerant, and ferments at temperatures as low as 10 degrees C...

I should be getting enough apples to do 4 carboys full, so i'm thinking a safe bet might be to use 4 recommended yeasts and do one of each....

I might have acquired a few more apples than i was expecting :eek:

A really nice mix though!

IMG_0940.jpg

Back