citra cascade attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve963

Reaction score
61L brew length (should have been 69 for 3 fermenters)

11.5kg marris otter
.5 wheat malt
.5 caragold

25 citra 20
25 citra 15
50 citra 10
50 citra 5
100 cascade 2mins

went for about 30IBU,

different yeast per fermenter: Maribrew, S-04 and US-05

will probably dry hop in secondary with 66grams cascade per fermenter for 2 weeks?

fermentation temp a bit high at 22-23 degrees

what you guys think?

looks good. 2 weeks might be an excess for dry hopping, the longer they're in, the more rough grassy flavours you gwt, which means more maturing!

caragold is lovely in these type of beers. good luck!

thanks , maybe just try 2 weeks dry hop in 1 fermenter then!

hopefully it will be nice, but think its fermented out in 3 days at 22-23degrees! bit hot me thinks, but the maribrew yeast is meant to go quite hot, so we will see

Probably my 2 favourite hops! :thumb: I've just done my first true SMASH with Maris Otter and cascade. Just tried my Citra 2 which I brewed 6 weeks ago. It will improve with age, I'm sure but it's already incredible. Try adding a big whack of either hop after flameout when the temp has dropped to 90C. It really does seem to add an extra dimension to the hop flavours, by reducing the isomerisation of the alpha acids.

Try adding a big whack of either hop after flameout when the temp has dropped to 90C.
When you say a 'whack' about how much do you reckon? I'm going to try this on my next brew, I love citra! :party:

Erl :drink:

the-erl said:
Try adding a big whack of either hop after flameout when the temp has dropped to 90C.
When you say a 'whack' about how much do you reckon? I'm going to try this on my next brew, I love citra! :party:

a whack for me would be 50g! although ive recently dry hopped with 200g in the fermenter lol!

i love citra too but recently been getting too much pure grapefruit flavour and not enough pungent hoppy flavour /aroma

dosent seem to matter too much when i add it, even gone for over 100gram per 23l at 2mins and its still more grapefruity than pungent if you know what i mean

My only issue is with the yeasts, the S05 will be fine, I've not tried the Mauribrew and S04 makes a nice stout, I really don't like it in a pale ale though!

abeyptfc said:
the-erl said:

a whack for me would be 50g! although ive recently dry hopped with 200g in the fermenter lol!
I agree, a whack is about 50g in a 23l brew. I've just done a stronger ale with 40g in 15 litres which I will dry hop after 10 days with another 25g.

how did you get 200g to sink! i cant get 50g to sink with a teaspoon, would have to put the whole cutlery draw in :D

steve963 said:
how did you get 200g to sink! i cant get 50g to sink with a teaspoon, would have to put the whole cutlery draw in :D

I used pellets! the only downside is this, it ends up looking like someone has emptied a wains nappy in the fv! look at the pic in this link- http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=36364&hilit=****

Latest posts

Back