Cleaning a cornie for storing empty

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runwell-Steve

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi

I always seem to end up cleaning kegs twice.

Once when I empty them, and again when I am about to use them.

Is this really necessary?

My usual cleaning approach is once empty I giva a good wash with Oxy clean, then a good rinse with water than put the keg away.
When I come to use it I usually wash it out again and then sanitise with starsan.

Could I just wash them out when they are empty, then flush through with Starsan, and just leaved them sealed up with the remnants of the Starsan in until I want to use the keg.

Then just pop the lid and fill when I am ready.

I will probably only have an empty keg for a max of 4 weeks so I assume this would be fine.

Anyone got any thoughts or different approaches.

Hi Steve,

I've always cleaned mine soon (ish) after use and re-sealed, then just rinsed through with starsan before next use. But if I'm going to store them for a while I do give them a final rinse of starsan after cleaning (and try to dry fairly well before re-capping) to inhibit anything growing betwixt cleaning and sanitising.

I can't claim to have any great knowledge of this, but it seems to have worked for the last year or so with no problems so far..

Cheers
kev

I've asked the same question recently: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15064

I'm now storing mine with a litre or so of Videne solution, purged of air and with a blast of CO2 for good measure, just 2-3 psi.

Thanks all, sorry Moley, I missed your earlier post.

So as long as I get the keg clean before storing a quick rinse out with Starsan should be fine, or I could get some Videne and keep some of that inside.

No idea, I've never used Starsan.

I'm not saying it's right, just what I'm doing at the moment. I've also got some thin green cable ties so I fix one of those through the lid. Green tie = good to go.

I don't store mine wet . . . I've actually had mould grow in one that had videne in it . . . admittedly that was after about 18 months :whistle:

Clean, rinse invert and allow to dry . . Cap with a new plastic bag and tape in place with masking tape . . . store

When needed . . . Remove bag and disinfect with no rinse sanitiser of choice . . fill

Back