Cleaning and sanitising a HERMS system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NegFerret

Reaction score
I've been searching for a guide to cleaning and sanitising a HERMS system. I have found one that seemed to be posted to all major forums, alas the poster's site that it forwarded to is no longer up.

Does anyone have any tips on the most efficient/effective way to clean and sanitise before a brew? What is considered best practice?

My plan was to flush through a chlorine based solution letting it sit for 30 mins (Malt Miller says it's fine with metals) and then flush with boiled water, the night before.

A flush through with hot water (from the chiller) after the brew was going to be the post brew cleaning regime.

Anyone have any thoughts?

No need to sanitise as it's a pre-boil process.

To clean I'd run hot water or an "oxy" solution through the system after use

Job done.

K

How do you deal with the bit after the boil, ie the kettle tap, hoses and chiller?

I understand there's no need to sanitise pre boil, but as the chlorine solution cleans and sanitises it's like I get the sanitisation for free :)

My herms gets flushed through with water after, hoses are all silicone and get used for recirculating the wort anyway so no need to sanitise only thing is my plate chiller which gets flushed with some videne mixture then flushed with water, taps are all used for under letting and bottom feeding my boiler

Another helpful tip is to run the sparge through the Herms system if you can. When I clean out a corny using oxy or caustic, I gas it up and blast it through the chiller and Herms as well.

Back