All in One cleaning and sanitising?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll be using my shiny new All In One for the first time soon (as soon as GetErBrewed kit order gets delivered!).
I have read and watched guides on cleaning AIO systems using PBW after a brew, and all seems clear. However, do I need to also sanitise before I brew, or does the heat of the mash and boil take care of that?

I'll be using my shiny new All In One for the first time soon (as soon as GetErBrewed kit order gets delivered!).
I have read and watched guides on cleaning AIO systems using PBW after a brew, and all seems clear. However, do I need to also sanitise before I brew, or does the heat of the mash and boil take care of that?

No need to sanitise anything that is used before / during the boil.

Anything that you use post-boil after the wort is cooled (include the chiller itself, although that can be done with the hot wort) need to be sanitised.

Great - thanks. I assume putting a clean immersion chiller into the boil for the last 10 mins is enough to sanitise that?
Correct, was just going back to my original post to clarify that.

10 minutes is probably longer than is actually needed. I run wort through my counterflow for about 1-2 minutes max.

I run Grainfather cleaner/PBW through the pump/CFC for 15 minutes at the end of each brewday, then water for 5 minutes. This ensures that the pump is clean. However, I'm certain that there will be water sitting in the pump between brews. I'll normally just flush a few litres of water through it at the start of each brewday just in case. If something nasty came out, I'd probably put cleaner through it again, but it always comes out clear. No special cleaning done at the start of the brewday.

Last edited:
Get some GEB oxi no rinse san clean for your bucket, bottles, etc. I use VWP to give everything a really good clean and sanitise after fermentation.

I give it a good clean out with hot soapy water after every use and will do a 20 or so minute 60 degree Sodium Percarbonate deep clean every now and again to make sure there are no nooks and crannies that old grain or hops have got stuck in. Don't bother sanitising. Never had any issues with this regime. I do give the recirculation pipe a good backflush too in order to get the crud out of the pump and it seems to be effective. Some say don't do this as you can push off the plastic pipes with he force of the water, but I don't give it the full beans and give it a gentle flush and has worked a treat with no issues for over 2 years now. In fact about time I thought about replacing the plastic pipes that link the pump to the recirculation pipe as it seems to me they do deteriorate over time and can burst or start leaking. A good point of pro active preventative maintenance I think.

Food for thought in this thread: I may have the answer to the cause of occasional infections.

Brew days start with a run of some cold water through the pump to look for signs it hadn't been cleaned properly at the end of the previous sessions. Any bits or discolouration and it's out with the Chemclean or sodium percarbonate. When happy, it's mash time with recirculation with a high temperature at a mashout of 77c. It's off for the sparge and the boil.

So, when the cooled wort is pumped to the fermenter, the pump hasn't had any boiling liquid through it.

Back