Cleaning immersion chillers.?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
When my chiller goes in the kettle it's dull looking. (It's copper)
When it comes out it's shiney and clean. I can't help thinking that the tarnish goes in to your beer. Can it be clean prior to using it?
Soaked over night in Pepsi or something. Does anyone clean there's? Or just dunk it in and don't worry about it?

I just clean it well after use. Sometimes a quick rinse before dunking it in the beer for chilling, often not. No issues yet. The boiling wort will sterilize any bits of stuff if may have picked up since last use. As long as you aren't storing it in a skip, you shouldn't worry too much. Also, there seems to be some evidence copper is good for beer.

I keep mine in my brew shed so this time of year it's freezing. I have started pre heating it in a bowl of hot water so as not to drop the boiler temp too much. After the boil it gets chucked in the sink and set about with plastic scourer,then goes back in the shed. Clean it while you do hop steep or let the trub settle.

See your point but as it goes in 15 minutes or so before the end I found it stopping the boil temporarily as my range wok burner only just manages to deal with the 32 litre pot.

IIRC in John Palmers biblical book of brewing its said not to worry about this very thing. Anything that does 'come off' doesn't impart any issues but helps to some degree with the yeast nutrient.

I've not got the book at home at the mo to confirm and I'm certain some other bright spark will shoot me down.

I clean after the wort has been syphoned to the FV. It's simply a sponge/cloth and some water. Then gets dried and put away for the next one. It goes in dull and comes out bright!

Latest posts

Back