Cleaning pet bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satellitemark

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently bought 48 500ml pet bottles and have put them into use, normally with glass bottles I rinse then put though the dish washer after use but I have read you shouldn't put pet bottles in the dishwasher, so far I have just rinsed them out after pouring into a glass , do I need to do anything else before I sterilise them at bottling stage ?

Thanks ,

Mark

Rinse thoroughly after use.
For bottle prep...
Gentle brushing with little water inside, then rinse
Leave to soak with about 25mm of VWP solution on the bottom and give them a shake every so often leaving them overnight.
Then just before bottling...
Pour out VWP.
Rinse bottle thoroughly with clean tap water at least 3 times.
Drain off as much as practicable.
Ready for re-use.
My PET bottles are originally from tonic water use, and when they get a bit bashed up they get replaced

I've been using the Coopers pet bottles for a few years. I've found that as time goes on, they become more difficult to clean - the yeast seems to stick to the sides of the bottle. When new, a quick rinse with VWP and they were good to go - now require a bottle brush to help. The yeast also sticks in the indents in the bottom - I always rinse immediately after the beer has been poured as well.
Possibly time to replace I think.

I tried my coopers bottles on the top shelf of our dishwasher to see if they'd melt or disintegrate, and they were fine. Maybe I got lucky.

To be honest I'm fed up of them. When empty the slightest waft of air knocks them around all over the place like skittles. I've got the neighbours saving me glass bottles. I'm "paying" them with a coopers or two full of Wherry.

Thanks for the input guys, as the pubs have been shut my usual supply of bottles cut off. I bought these to tide me over, so I'll use them as such but glass does seem a lot easier !

Mark

Sinktipper - LOL - I saved 40 of the Morrisons Sparkling Lime and Lemon water bottles and I relate to the "blowing over / skittles" comment. Had them high up in Garage awaiting filling and many times as I opened the door "there they went" all over the place

Less trouble now they have 18 litres of Admirals Reserve in them awaiting drinking in mid October

I use 2L pop bottles. Rinse after use. Before bottling I add a couple of tablespoons of bleach to a bath of water and give them a good clean out. Then I rinse in the kitchen. I spot check by taste testing some of the rinsed out water.

Clean bottles and clean bath.

My personal preference is brown glass bottles. However I do use 1 or sometimes 2 PET bottles so I can check that carbonation has occurred by giving them a good squeeze, if firm the contents are fizzy. I tend to use the green plastic S.Pellegrino sparkling water bottles as the brew won't be tainted by sunlight.
My only worry with using 2 litre PET bottles is that if you leave 500ml or so in the bottle, there is a good chance it will go flat if not consumed within a day or so. Just my own personal opinion.

My only worry with using 2 litre PET bottles is that if you leave 500ml or so in the bottle, there is a good chance it will go flat if not consumed within a day or so. Just my own personal opinion.
The best way to consume beer from a 2 litre bottle (apart from all at once) is to do it in two one litre batches and use a one litre pitcher/serving jug in which to pour the beer. And of course drink the second litre within a couple of days or it will start to spoil, which is still enough time for it to settle out after the first pour

I store the bottles in a dark shed so no worries with UV. Just moved a couple to the fridge ready for the weekend.

Back