What have you been smoking on bbq?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fish jerky - yum

take any large white fish. must be fresh caught not frozen. i use striped bass but corvina would prolly work. i have made it with tuna also. salmon works very well also
cut out all of the blood line.

cut in thin (less than 1/4 inch ) jerky strips . you can put it in freezer for an hour to firm it up if needed. it took me a while to figure out but cut the fish with the grain in contrast to what you would normally do. otherwise it falls apart after drying.

basically parallel to the spine not perpendicular as you normally would.

rinse and pat dry.

make the brine/marinade

per 2 pounds of fish:
1 cup terryaki (kikomans is best)
1/2 cup soy
1 cup water
2-3 cups dark brown sugar (usually 1 cup of sugar is advised. the secret to good fish jerky is to double or triple the sugar)
4 big tablespoons kosher salt

additional but optional ingredients:

zest of half a lemon
3 bay leaves
black pepper
cayene pepper
fresh chopped ginger
honey
garlic powder

marinade in a ziplock so the liquid covers the strips. 24-36 hours but not longer it it will fal apart.
dry it on a rack in the fridge for 12 to 18 hours to form pellicle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelli...cle is a skin,meat during the smoking process.

now you have two options.

1) dry in oven at 185 for 3.5 hours then increase to 265 for 10 mins until it just starts to crack when bent
then cold smoke for a few hours.
or
2) hot smoke for 4 hours at 260 (this is better)

i use apple or pecan cherry also works . any sweet wood is good not so much with mesquite or hickory

What the hell is a cup?
I have all sorts of cups, some big and some small. IKEA cups or Aldi cups?

Traditionally it was any cup. And you didn’t mix cups with other units of measure. The bigger the cup you used, the more stuff you ended up making. Then by convention, 1 cup became 8.3oz (or thereabouts).
All because Americans are too stupid to comprehend the metric system and somehow this is easier.

Cote du Boeuf with a burnt butter glaze, first time cooking this, served with potatoes and asparagus and a blue cheese sauce. It was so good but one question should I have cut it the other way, along the grain.

IMG_3825.jpeg

Cote du Boeuf with a burnt butter glaze, first time cooking this, served with potatoes and asparagus and a blue cheese sauce. It was so good but one question should I have cut it the other way, along the grain.

View attachment 100237
I cut thick slices parallel to the tail end of the bone, so about 90 degrees to yours. Couldn’t claim that it’s the correct way or not. Just seems to work.
Nice job on the steak, that looks absolutely banging 🥩

Latest posts

Back