Cleaning up the mess

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonight_we_fly

Reaction score
At the weekend I boiled up my second extract brew. All seems to have gone fine, apart from a brief boil over (which I quickly attended to at the time).

However, it did seem to leave a residue of some horrible black stuff all over the cooker, which I'm finding it murder to try to get off. It scrubbed off of the outside of the brewpot easily enough, but doesn't seem to be so yielding from the enamel surface of the cooker.

I've tried various regular kitchen cleaning products, and also tried giving it a scrape rather than a wipe but still making very little progress. Just wondering whether anybody has any magical tips that they're able to share? There are probably all sorts of chemicals sitting on the shelves in Homebase which I could try out, but if anybody actually has a tried and tested solution for cleaning up after a boil-over then that would be priceless.

i clean our oven with some caustic soda,
avoid getting it on ali though,
its really cheap,
mix it with water to make a thickish solution and dab it on the stains, wear gloves, :thumb:

Not had that problem personally as I use an electric boiler for my AG, my wife uses and swears by a product called 'Hob Brite' in an orange container most major super stores stock it, it's slightly abrasive but it's fine on our glass halogen hob. :D

Thanks for the suggestions, very much appreciated.

I'll start with the boiling water, then if necessary progress onto something a bit stronger after next week's Tesco trip.

Funnily enough, I'm sure I used to have some Hob Brite under the sink many years back; I think it was one of the many bottles that I threw out two years ago when I moved, of various chemicals/cleaning fluids which I'd had for at least ten years and I thought might be a bit risky to be using. Then if the Hob Brite doesn't clear it up, I'll move onto the rubber gloves and the caustic soda.

Many thanks artyb, pittsy and Hollow Legs!

Latest posts

Back