Cleaning used bottles.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorsetciderboy

Reaction score
I've just gone and picked up a load of used bottles, from the bottle bank. Anyone have some good tips on how to clean them out? or is fairy liquid and a good rinse ok?

thanks

yes wot i do and a bottle brush :thumb:

dorsetciderboy said:
I've just gone and picked up a load of used bottles, from the bottle bank. Anyone have some good tips on how to clean them out? or is fairy liquid and a good rinse ok?

thanks

i use 1/2 tsp of sanitizer per bottle, but beware when choosing bottles as some have a small bloom of mould in and even sanitzer wont shift it

i had some like that i used a bottle brush to clean bottles with some good old fairy the use sanitizer all sweet then :thumb:

jasea3632 said:
i use 1/2 tsp of sanitizer per bottle, but beware when choosing bottles as some have a small bloom of mould in and even sanitzer wont shift it

rinse and bottle brush.
tsp soda crystals per bottle, into a big bucket so they can soak fully covered for a while while soda does its stuff.
rinse and inspect, if owt seen use bottle brush.
quick soapless run through dishwasher.
rinse and inspect, if owt seen use bottle brush.
sanitiser, pour back into some container so you can see if anything nasty comes out.
rinse and inspect, if owt seen use bottle brush and repeat last two steps.
rinse again.

I use washing soda as well. I pack a load of bottles in an old fv or large container sprinkle in a pe of washing soda and fill. Make sure all the bottles get filled. Leave it over night and any labels which are going to come of with water will do and mould etc will have loosened. Any stubon bits will come off with a quick wizz with a bottle brush. Some times just leave the bottle half filled and give it a good shake.

You will of course need to sanitise when you bottle.

I must admit that any new bottles are rinsed 3 times and thats it before drying and storage, i am not saying thats how it should be, but it works for me, with,no infection problems, i would be warry bottle banks as you dont know if someone has had their lips around the neck Dave NE

Dave after the washing and sterilising we all do i doubt if it would matter if they'd put the bottle elsewhere :sick: ( I meant the kitchen slops bin lol) let alone had their lips around the bottle certainly if people are using soda crystals nothing germwise is gonna be left

Point taken J3632, after re-reading my message it looks as if i have been winging it for far too long, it looks as if my disability is leading me to cut corners, soda crystals it is then, cheers Dave

Just done 65 bottles - i soak in a bath of hot water with a spoon full of that oxy stuff for 24 hours then drain and rinse then add a chlorine/bleach (pool cleaner) tablet for 24 then rinse thoroughly 3 times then i videne the lot and leave to dry. :thumb:

raiding the bottle bank is recycling in it's purest form and saves youhaving to pay nearly a fiver at wilkos for 6 bottles just dont get budvar bulgarian wine as their necks are stupid slim and wont take a cork.

I get friends to save me their bottles once they've drunk them, then i wash straight away.. (usually a monday morning)

I did buy 10 new empty bottles for £5 from a HBS when i was passing through a town, haven't used them yet as I keep using my recycled ones from friends first :D

Back