Cleaning.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I used a hydrometer when I worked at sea to measure sea water/dock water density and was taught by several people it was to break surface tension. I'll need to chase my old lecturers and colleagues down!

Hydrometers are used for measuring the density of fluids, not just alcohol, water and their mixes and solutions. Some hydrometers are marked with the surface tension for which they were calibrated. There is a lot of info here Stevenson Reeves - How to use a hydrometer

Some you read above the meniscus, some below. This is normally marked on the hydrometer.

On ships, we measured the bunker fuel with volumetric flow meters but paid by mass, so we had to take very accurate density readings with a brass hydrometer. When you are buying a 1,000 tonnes at a time it makes a big difference!

Hydrometers are used for measuring the density of fluids, not just alcohol, water and their mixes and solutions. Some hydrometers are marked with the surface tension for which they were calibrated. There is a lot of info here Stevenson Reeves - How to use a hydrometer

Some you read above the meniscus, some below. This is normally marked on the hydrometer.

On ships, we measured the bunker fuel with volumetric flow meters but paid by mass, so we had to take very accurate density readings with a brass hydrometer. When you are buying a 1,000 tonnes at a time it makes a big difference!
Thanks for that and thanks for the link. Lots of great information there too. 🍻👍

Latest posts

Back