Climate Change

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving the car this Saturday, I was listening to LBC and the lady presenter was claiming that the current cold snap we're experiencing (in December) was caused by climate change.
I think people are getting a bit hysterical.

Yes. People seem to forget that it gets cold in the winter.
You need to put into context that the cold weather warnings are being issued because people are not putting their heating on and maybe spending more on heating is preferable to hypothermia or worse, especially with stretched emergency services.

My old man says 63 was a cold year. Here in Norfolk the Yare froze and so did the sea at Yarmouth. He was working in a wood yard bundling kindling so was busy but freezing!

I remember 63 it was really fecking cold, never ever since have i been so cold

I expected Scotland to break most records but was surprised to see the Midlands at 3 & 7.

cold.JPG

I was

Dr Jordan B Peterson and Dr. Richard Lindzen dive into the facts of climate change, the models used to predict it, the dismal state of academia, and the politicized world of “professional” science. Richard Lindzen is a dynamical meteorologist. He has contributed to the development of theories for the Hadley Circulation, hydrodynamic instability theory, internal gravity waves, atmospheric tides, and the quasi-biennial oscillation of the stratosphere. His current research is focused on climate sensitivity, the role of cirrus clouds in climate, and the determination of the tropics-to-pole temperature difference. He has attained multiple degrees from Harvard University, and won multiple awards in his field of study such as the Jule Charney award for “highly significant research in the atmospheric sciences”. Between 1983 and 2013, he was the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at MIT where he earned emeritus status in July of 2013.

From what I remember in GSCE Geography the sea/ocean acts as a temperature buffer in summer and winter, so perhaps the relatively long distance of the Midlands from the coast is a factor.
That’s correct. Cloud cover has a big impact too as it acts as a giant blanket but with clear skys, generally, the further you are from the sea the greater the difference in winter/summer and daytime/nighttime temperatures. Average nighttime temperature in the middle of the Sahara desert is -4 degrees C!

If I've understood the tweet correctly, they are trying to suggest we shouldn't switch to renewable energy sources because it means mining for the raw materials required to produce things like solar panels?

Are they conveniently forgetting where our existing fuel sources come from?

'The three most produced commodities in the world all come from mining or drilling:
  • Crude oil
  • Coal
  • Iron ore'
Source: The World Counts

Additional source: Coal, iron and bauxite top list of most-mined minerals in the world

If I've understood the tweet correctly, they are trying to suggest we shouldn't switch to renewable energy sources because it means mining for the raw materials required to produce things like solar panels?

Are they conveniently forgetting where our existing fuel sources come from?

'The three most produced commodities in the world all come from mining or drilling:
  • Crude oil
  • Coal
  • Iron ore'
Source: The World Counts

Additional source: Coal, iron and bauxite top list of most-mined minerals in the world
This chap is highlighting that there is the illusion of saving the planet because mining (for anything) is destructive to the environment, so claiming that energy from windmills, solar panels, EV batteries etc is green is essentially a fallacy.

4th tweet down:
1674227184129.png

Take a look at his profile, looks like quite a knowledgable mining mechanic on all things mining:

https://nitter.moomoo.me/JohnLeePettim13

Last edited:
This chap is highlighting that there is the illusion of saving the planet because mining (for anything) is destructive to the environment, so that saying that mining raw materials for windmills, solar panels, EV batteries etc is green, essentially is a fallacy.

4th tweet down:
View attachment 80908

Take a look at his profile, looks like quite a knowledgable mining mechanic on all things mining:

https://nitter.moomoo.me/JohnLeePettim13

But that ignores the difference in what happens after mining.

Coal is burnt, expending the resource and generating vast amounts of greenhouse gases in the process.

Minerals used for renewable energy sources aren't expended in one shot; they can be used for years or even decades and as a result have a much lower impact on the environment.

'While coal-powered technology used up 1050 g of carbon dioxide per kwH of electricity over its lifetime (a median estimate measured in CO2 eq/kwH), solar PV consumed 55 g CO2 eq/kWh.'

Source: Lifetime greenhouse emissions of solar PV systems.

But that ignores the difference in what happens after mining.

Coal is burnt, expending the resource and generating vast amounts of greenhouse gases in the process.

Minerals used for renewable energy sources aren't expended in one shot; they can be used for years or even decades and as a result have a much lower impact on the environment.

'While coal-powered technology used up 1050 g of carbon dioxide per kwH of electricity over its lifetime (a median estimate measured in CO2 eq/kwH), solar PV consumed 55 g CO2 eq/kWh.'

Source: Lifetime greenhouse emissions of solar PV systems.
This assumes that you have rationalised that CO2 is the source of climate change.

But if CO2 is not the source of climate change, then the whole project is a waste of taxpayers money, money that could be better spent actually cleaning the environment in projects that don't make billionaire oligarchs richer and actually benefit the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back