cloudy from keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerlad

Reaction score
Just tapped a keg first attempt at lagering went in clear but really cloudy coming out have poured about 1 and a half pints tastes great but looks like neipa anyone experienced this,have I not poured enough off or maybe turning the tap on caused the yeast sediment to dislodge and I should leave it a day...can I drink what is in my glass??""?"cheers lagerlad

Mmmmmmmm lager

WP_20170826_18_32_52_Pro.jpg

Just tapped a keg first attempt at lagering went in clear but really cloudy coming out have poured about 1 and a half pints tastes great but looks like neipa anyone experienced this,have I not poured enough off or maybe turning the tap on caused the yeast sediment to dislodge and I should leave it a day...can I drink what is in my glass??""?"cheers lagerlad
If it's yeast all I can say is I don't think it went in as clear as you think. However since the lager looks chilled it could be a protein haze. Even then it looks very murky.
I'd leave it at least a couple of days longer and see what happens.
Yes you can drink it if it tastes OK, but be near a loo at all times tomorrow :whistle:

It's either that or you've transferred across a load of true and sediment. So much so that even from the bottom of the pickup tube your still drawing in sediment. Chill it right down and leave it for a few days. Don't move it an inch, and then try drawing off a few more pints.

But also don't go far from a toilet [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like chill haze. Did you use any finings when you were brewing? Irish moss works (when you don't forget to add it to the boil) and it's cheap. But recently I keg and use that first keg like a brite tank. After a few weeks I transfer to another keg and I mostly have clear beer.

I just remembered I got the keg and 3 bottles from the fermenter filling the keg first so the 3 bottles were last out the fermenter and as usual I always try and make sure the last bottle is a clear one,I had a look tonight and its totally clear I am going to drink it tomorrow hopefully for trial purposes,anyway its something that's happened in the keg or I have not drawn enough off for it to run clear,I used protofloc last 10 mins of boil.....

So you probably just got to give it time to settle out. Some can take awhile to settle

There are only two phrases to remember when looking at a glass of cloudy beer!

"Get it down, it'll do you good!"

and

"Get it up, you'll feel better!"

One phrase will always apply; and 99.9% of the time it's the first one! :thumb:

You've got the experienced heavy guns interested now, doing their sincere best to fathom what might be going on. So here is my addition to this very serious situation...

We notice this is a "lager". This has got the Gods very cross because they are all affiliate members of CAMRA. You've got off lightly. There was this guy a few months ago who claimed his home-brewed lager had turned blood red, which he thought was rather funny ... until he tasted it.

Your only hope is to dance naked in your street for a couple of hours chanting "I am a lager drinker". It wont help your beer but will amuse the Gods and all your neighbours. Whoever collects you from the police station might be less amused.

Well folks here it is a few days on just about clear and will be by the weekend patience is a virtue and all that etc etc,sorry the pic us upside down but on my phone and I can't get it changed,hope admin can change it before the beer pours out

WP_20170829_18_00_19_Pro.jpg

m8 i had lagered it for 4 weeks in the keg then hooked it up to co2 for 2 weeks my patience was wearing thin and had to have a taste,i am 99% sure opening the tap must have caused an air bubble or something which upset all the yeast in the bottom of the keg its all i can think of, live and learn eh

m8 i had lagered it for 4 weeks in the keg then hooked it up to co2 for 2 weeks my patience was wearing thin and had to have a taste,i am 99% sure opening the tap must have caused an air bubble or something which upset all the yeast in the bottom of the keg its all i can think of, live and learn eh

Just a thought but you didn't happen to connect the gas to the "out" connection instead of the "in" on the keg? The "in" connection on a cornie will have a small groove cut into it around its spanner edges which is typical of all gas connections.

no m8 its crusaders i use and defo all connected up right all is about well with the beer now just another day or two to fully clear maybe i should try it again tonight !!!!

Back