cloudy ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotchell73

Reaction score
hello, I'm a new brewer.
I have just brewed a batch of bulldog IPA (kit) as per instructions.
I short brewed it for more flavour.
after 2 weeks I added Chinook hops and left for 2 weeks.
I strained off (using muslin) and bottled.
I have left the bottles for 2 weeks it a cool dark location, but on trying a bottle I noticed its still a bit cloudy.
is this ok to drink (tastes lovely) or shall I leave it to clear.
is there anything else I need to do to it now?
cheers

Hello and welcome!

That should be ok to drink. I have been lucky that my brews cleared up, though with plenty of sediment, so pour carefully. Some clear pretty much over night others take a wee bit longer. But since you threw in the Chinooks I'm sure yours is a bit more cloudy than normal.

There is "chemicals" you can put in your brew to let it clear out more, though I don't bother since it is home brew and don't harm you. Though it can give you a bit of gas if you drink the dregs :)

/568ml

Have you tried storing a couple of bottles in a warm room for a couple of days to see if they clear?
Works for me, my first couple of batches were very cloudy until I was told to store them in the spare bedroom. A few days later they were all crystal clear.
Good luck ! :drink:

Cheers for the info. I'll try the warmer room.
I'm sure ill be back with more questions on other projects...
Thanks again

yeah, the cloudiness could be due to dryhopping or it could be a chill haze when you get when you cool the beer. If it goes away when the beer warms up, that solves it; if not, it might be dryhop or other stuff.

is this ok to drink (tastes lovely) or shall I leave it to clear.
cheers

I think there's a clue somewhere here!:lol:

Don't worry about it. Cloudy homebrew is not the same thing as cloudy pub beer, which is beer going off. Cloudy homebrew is either suspended protein or starches, or yeast. If it tastes good, it is good.
I've just started a pressure barrel full of single hop AG pale ale. It tastes lovely but looks like soup. Who cares...

Did you use loads of dry hops? That would cause cloudiness. Commercial beers that are heavily dry hopped are usually cloudy too.

I only used a small package (50 g I think) of dry hops, so not too much. Left it for 2 weeks and filtered it with muslin before bottling.

Latest posts

Back