CML yeast recommendation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of De Koninck clones tend to mention liquid yeasts. Does anyone have suggestions for dried yeast for a Dec Koninck clone? Doesn't have to be from CML, but I don't want to pay £5 postage on a sachet of yeast
DK is a bit of an outlier in all sorts of ways, but I'd note that WLP515 Antwerp is now known to be a lager yeast, so I'd use whatever robust lager yeasts they offer, the CML equivalent to 34/70 or M54 etc.

The cheapest option is to buy a bottle of DK and harvest....

I'm thinking of making a Belgian "pale" (which are always brown looking to me) as my next brew. For a variety of reasons, liquid yeast isn't practical for me and I really like CML yeasts (partially because their postage is dead cheap).

A lot of De Koninck clones tend to mention liquid yeasts. Does anyone have suggestions for dried yeast for a Dec Koninck clone? Doesn't have to be from CML, but I don't want to pay £5 postage on a sachet of yeast

I’ve used the CML Belgian yeast for a Pale. I was pleased with how it came out.

It's fairly clean, but nice and ale like, if you get my meaning. Doesn't have that Notty bland "butterness". Co pitched with House, you get slightly fruity esters with decent flocculation.
I'm going to be trying this combo in an English pale I plan to make in a couple of brews' time. As I mentioned, not a fan of Four, but liked Midland (Notty).

I have pitched House and Midland in my porter to try to get more attenuation than the last batch that was 100% House. I liked the flavour of the last one so will see how it goes, my first time mixing yeasts.

I'm particularly interested in opinions on any of these:
  • CML version of Lalbrew New England?
  • CML version of K-97?
  • CML version of T-58?
  • Best CML for hoppy pales
  • Best CML for bitters?
  • Best CML kolsch style yeast?
CML Celtic Ale is superb for traditional British Ales particularly bitters, none better in my opinion I use it regularly .

I've done a couple of batches of my Tribute clone with the Midland having previously only ever used Wilko Gervin.
I found it took just a little while longer to drop clear and compact but I think the taste is more like the pub version rather than the cleaner bottled version off the Wilko. It's good and I'll keep using it. It's also gone in my oatmeal stout. My latestest Pipster pale has had Clipper.

Latest posts

Back