co2 Regulator for corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokeHer

Reaction score
HI Guys,

I know there are a few threads about this already but I couldn't definitively find out my answer!

I have a used corny keg and I need to buy a co2 regulator. Eventually, I will be using 3-4 cornys so I will need a multi setup. If I bought a regulator similar to this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Co2-Regulator-Dual-Gauge-Draft-Beer-Beverage-Soda-Homebrew-Kegerator-/361077808005?var=&hash=item5411ea1b85 will I be able to add on extra ones later?

Obviously I don't want to buy this, use it for a few months and then have to buy a new dual/triple one.

Thanks

yes you can add on to it or you can buy a multi setup in the first place which works out a lot cheaper.

I bought a single one and then wished i'd gone multi when I decided to put different beers in the fridge.

A multi set-up is also easier for sealing kegs and carbonating as you can have one outlet at a much higher
pressure of 30-35 psi and leave it set there with the disconnect tuck up at the back of the fridge.

If you shop around you can get a three output setup for less than £100 , If I remember where I seen it I'll post a link to it

The link would be really helpful, thanks :-D

Not sure I can afford the £100 plus all the other bits at the moment so I might have to settle for a longer term more expensive version but it depends on the saving!

I am not sure why you are getting a regulator from the US as the postage and import tax bump up the price, anyway if due to cost you start with a bog standard regulator that will be fine, then you can add to it, It will probably work out about the same expense but you can add to it as and when I want to.
So if you get a standard regulator
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151650757086?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
With that regulator you might need to get a new nipple that you can push a hard gas lines onto it but I managed to get some soft hose, and with some very hot water pushed it onto the one supplied, (the soft hose is then easy to fit onto the manifold see below)
I have that regulator and it will get your keg dispensing up and running, then you could add a manifold

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/4waymanifold.html

I have one and have screwed it inside my keg cooling fridge and it gives me great control when I need to do other things with my beers they may require higher pressure from my linked CO2.
my next purchase will be one or two Cornelius Keg Adjustable Pressure Valves, one maybe enough to isolate my beer I am dispensing

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk...g_Adjustable_Pressure_Valve.html#.VfmN1bSBC0s
With those valves and the manifold I will be able to link one to the beers I am dispensing to keep the pressure stable, while I then have another keg or two at different pressures for carbing ect
So from a cheap regulator I can build up my equipment to something that is better then a multi- regulator as it will control four or more kegs for around the same price as a cumbersome three valve multi regulator

I hope this gives you some ideas and helps you decide what might be best for you

More to the point, I'm not 100% sure that American regulators will fit UK cylinders? Sure I've seen something about that before....

Also, the regulator link in the post above this looks as if the second gauge is in cubic feet per hour/litres per minute (flow rate). You don't want that either, you need bar/psi (pressure).

It looks a lot like the one I got from HBC and that fits a UK/ European bottle

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/co2-dual-gauge-regulator-with-14-barb-checkvalve-p-2530.html

It's hard to tell, the USA uses different sizes. I would guest we would have metric threads and they might have more like an imperial thread, it would be hard to tell from a photo, ( an email to the supplier for the size would be needed) you just need to look at the size of a U.S. gallon to see there can be a difference :-D

I was in a bit of a rush when I posted this and I've caused some confusion sorry! I'm not getting that specific regulator, I meant just one like that, I just google it and picked one 'like' the one I was looking at earlier. The one you've posted Soton looks ideal. Thanks for your post, it's really helpful. I think I will build my way up from 1 as you suggest.

Does it matter that it appears to display 400 bar or 5000+ PSI!? I'm not sure that is going to be very helpful!

I was in a bit of a rush when I posted this and I've caused some confusion sorry! I'm not getting that specific regulator, I meant just one like that, I just google it and picked one 'like' the one I was looking at earlier. The one you've posted Soton looks ideal. Thanks for your post, it's really helpful. I think I will build my way up from 1 as you suggest.

Does it matter that it appears to display 400 bar or 5000+ PSI!? I'm not sure that is going to be very helpful!
It doesn't matter one gauge shows that sort of pressure, that'll be your high pressure gauge showing you what's going on in your gas cylinder. What does matter, as I said before, is your low pressure gauge. It must show pressure, not flow rate - the one in the link shows flow rate. Not what you need....

Already done it. I'll update here when I get a response.

I didn't get a response. But I have found a 1.5kg co2 bottle from an Adams Gas supplier in Bristol for £15 + £25 deposit. Seems reasonable and he says I can exchange for a bigger bottle without a bigger deposit!

I have got everything ready but I have realised that I'm missing a regulator to gas-line adapter. I have bought this regulator and it fits nicely onto my co2 bottle. I have bought all the fittings from the Malt Miller but I didn't think about the adapter from regulator to gas line. I have 3/8 gas line from the Malt Miller.

I think I need this am I right? The bit stating to 4mm tube is confusing me but they all seem to be this size, so I'm assuming that I'm right? If not, any ideas what I need?

Ta

Back